Problem Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcromwell

Reaction score
I have problems equalizing on decent generally i can go up a few feet and equalize then continue down and equalize during rest of decent however this last weekend while making first dive i had more trouble than usual then on second dive was unable to equalize at 12 to 15 feet pain became extreme i tried going up and equalizing numerous times but resultaed in extreme pain at same depth each time also had some minor bleeding in sinuses mixed with some mucous and dizzynes after acending to surface now i still have pressure and muffled hearing in both ears but right one is worse no pain however. any help would be great. also i usally take a 12 hour non drowsy sudafed but failed to this time out.

You might try beginning to equalize at the surface and evry few feet. It's sometimes easier if you don't let the pressure difference get to great.

This site has lots of useful info on equalizing your ears:

http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/

Also, you might want to see an ENT doctor before resuming diving to be sure your eustachian tubes function OK and no unusual damage exists in your ears.

I am still blocked after a week some discomfort i right ear on and off have tried clearing several times with no luck have an appt with ent on the 19th will keep you posted...

I do clearing exercises evry day. this has worked well for my ears. However, I tend to have probs with my sinus. jfo56

Me and my fiancee are both operating room nurses, and I used to be in charge of the ENT surgical department at a medical school operating room a couple of years back. This weekend my fiancee had the same problem, and she too had nose bleeding, I told her she prolly ruptured a vessle in her ear (the ear tube leads to the mouth/nose). I had one of the ENT doctors I knew take a look at her, and sure enough, that is what happened....the fancy name is Barotraumatic Otitis Media, and I bet you have the same problem. She has to avoid diving four to six weeks and he gave her a prescription for a decongestant. She was lucky and did not have a rupture in her ear drum, and I hope you are lucky too! Keep us posted!
Ranz

There is nothing much to say other than when you get up to go diving start then, the quicker you start somethings the easier it is. Continue untill you get to the site your going to dive or the shop. Just keep doing whatever it takes prior and then as your diving take the trip down slow and easy and if you get to a spot you can't then move up a little untill all is good then proceed on down. Sorry but there isn't a trick, just start as soon as you can when you get up... it helps.

Hope this helps you out :mean:

I had similar problems on the ascent, only one of my ears was equalizing right.
Then my personal advices would be:

1- To forget about the forced Vasalva, it's no good (I saw that when I guided people on their first dives)

2- Never forget to rinse your earsstraight after the dive withbottled water

3- Equalize from the surface, but always smoothly. (This has already been said :eek:ut: )

Good luck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom