Problem with an Inon D-2000 Type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I couldn't agree more. But she seems to have trouble getting the concepts down, even though she has been through a few classes prior to this one.
She decided to take this class with a few female friends in order to get it down better. I spent a lot of time patiently talking to her about apatures, -stops Depth of field, shutter speeds, back scatter, white balance, you name it, she just gets overwhelmed. I find she does better getting trained by someone other than her husband, based on past disasters I have survived. Same thing for snow skiing and backing trailers. Guys, back me up on this one. Never teach your spouse anything, let someone else do it. It's safer.

This website has helped me tremendously. Beginners guide to underwater photography|Underwater Photography Guide

Underwater photography is difficult. You really need to understand the relationship between aperture & shutter speed. Many things that apply to taking pictures topside do not work well under water. Under water photo takes some trial and error to learn what settings work with YOUR camera and HOW you take your photos, (distance from subject, flash or no flash, zoomed in our out). Even good under water photographers take a lot of throw away pictures.

One of my sons is a professional photojournalist, and once when I complained that I throw out 75 to 80% of my images on the first pass, he just laughed and said even the pros do that. And he's talking about shooting on land!

I got one nice shot on my last dive...I was happy. :blinking:

I just received my brand new INON Z240 strobes (basicaly the same as the D2000) and their manual clearly states that the magnet don't
influence exposure while in sTTL mode.
I used my Fuji E900 and them my G11 always without any magnet in and it worked flawless in sTTL mode.
The magnet is used to avoid that the strobe fires when the camera sends a preflash for measuring purposes and not for exposure purposes,
the strobe has to wait till the exposure flash fires.

Chris

I case someone's still wondering about this:

I tested my Inon D2000 Type 4 with my Canon G12. STTL worked fine even without the magnet, but I couldn't get the manual mode to work with the strobe. After installing the magnet, the manual and the STTL mode work perfect.

Thus, at least my Inon D2000 Type 4 and G12 require the magnet to be installed!

Cumbo: Isn't that what Inon says. In my understanding, the magnet is necessary for the strobe to work in manual mode if the camera has a preflash while the magnet has NO effect on STTL.
Bill

I recently bought my first strobe for my G12. I am now having doubts, if it works properly (or the optical cord). Is this correct:

1) the strobe should work in Av and Tv modes when set to "STTL", "STTL Low", "AUTO", "M" or "FULL" (Picture of the rear of D-2000?
2) the strobe should work in M mode when set to "AUTO", "M" or "FULL"
3) with this setup, I mustn't install the magnet supplied with the strobe?

It sometimes get totally black pictures, even though the strobe is fired at full power. Any idea what the problem might be?

Does the D-2000 require using the Inon Fiber Optic D Cable Type L? I ordered a 10Bar fiber optic cable, but got a cable which is not threaded at the strobe end, but instead has a red rubber-type material cap.

I should be diving with the gear on Saturday for the first time. Please help!

IMO, you should install the magnet. In the Av and Tv modes set the camera strobe to Manual and low power. This will allow you to shoot in sTTL in Program and External Auto in Av and Tv (without changing camera strobe Auto/Manual settings) or Manual Inon strobe and of course Manual Inon strobe in camera Manual exposure mode.

If you want to shoot sTTL in Av or Tv you will need to return the camera strobe setting to Auto. You can still leave the magnet in because in sTTL mode the magnet position is irrelevant/overridden.

You also realize you can shoot the camera in Manual exposure mode with the Inon strobe in External Auto (magnet installed). This will give you auto flash exposure of close subject.

N

Last edited:
Yes, that's what Inon says. I just thought it meant cases/modes, where prefire flash is used, not a camera which uses preflash in some modes. And, being a beginner, I thought the camera didn't use preflash in manual mode --> not necessary to install a magnet.

I just wanted to clarify, if someone else was still struggling with this. There were people saying that the magnet is not necessary, so wanted to help. :wink:

Cumbo: Isn't that what Inon says. In my understanding, the magnet is necessary for the strobe to work in manual mode if the camera has a preflash while the magnet has NO effect on STTL.
Bill

Wow, I had to read that post a couple of times, before it made sense. :D Thanks for the help, I have taken probably hundreds of photos on land and I have one day at our hotel swimming pool in Bali before going diving at Tulamben and Seraya - in 5 days. :wink: Hope it all goes well from the start.

IMO, you should install the magnet. In the Av and Tv modes set the camera strobe to Manual and low power. This will allow you to shoot in sTTL in Program and External Auto in Av and Tv (without changing camera strobe Auto/Manual settings) or Manual Inon strobe and of course Manual Inon strobe in camera Manual exposure mode.

If you want to shoot sTTL in Av or Tv you will need to return the camera strobe setting to Auto. You can still leave the magnet in because in sTTL mode the magnet position is irrelevant/overridden.

You also realize you can shoot the camera in Manual exposure mode with the Inon strobe in External Auto (magnet installed). This will give you auto flash exposure of close subject.

N

Back
Top Bottom