Problem with Mares avanti quattro +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bison Ravi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

I bought these fins from a local authorized dealer. Since I got them one of the posts for the bungees started to degrade, leading to the attachment part coming undone by itself a few times.

Also, the surface of the bungees has become really sticky in some parts. Sand and dirt sticks to it and it feels greasy to the touch.

All post seem to be damaged now, one more than the others and that lead to almost losing a fin on a dive with lots of current. Also the bungee came undone on a couple back roll entries.

I never unclip the bungees, I just put them back on when they become undone. I also know how to put them on correctly, so it's not user error.

Seems to me like the plastic compound of the posts is too soft.

I brought this to the attention of the local dealer where I bought them, while under warranty, and they agreed it was not normal.

They contacted the distributor but they have no response, and they say they can't do anything about it.

Here are a few pictures, hope someone from Mares can help me out. Except for that I love the fins.

Thanks

c0df4eae54aabce0d097c71aa9f9955a.jpg
22764523383a6b8bf0e8d9025e5e00cc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Possibly, the fins have been in contact with some kind of "solvant" e.g. Acetone. Got the same thing with the rubber on binoculars.

---------- Post added October 16th, 2015 at 07:12 PM ----------

Possibly, the fins have been in contact with some kind of "solvant" e.g. Acetone. Got the same thing with the rubber on binoculars.

I can't see where they would have been in contact with a solvant, and both fins have it only on the bungee and not the other parts. Still, the worst is the post and the risk of losing a fin.

That is very odd have used the Avanti Quatro for years and no issues. What are you using to clean them after dives? Are the bungie connectors getting rotated on the post a lot?

I just rinse them with freshwater when diving in seawater. I don't really rotate the connectors, or even unclip them. I have a frien with white quattros that has the same problem but not as bad. Not sure if it means something or coincidence?

Can you post a pic of the "buckle" attached to the fin? I have a pair Quattros that I put spring straps on, but had to whittle off the the little tab on the post.

cc4e14cce53b86e0950d9868a4430e1f.jpg
78ada4b0477faaa6901cac4fe4cfcf94.jpg

---------- Post added October 16th, 2015 at 04:17 PM ----------

8acb59cfc57bfafed096d8e824e5d4d1.jpg
605c07ad84cff6fd18d7ef6af12ebff4.jpg
18af6e74ad6300025b362e6888f8aed0.jpg

---------- Post added October 16th, 2015 at 04:20 PM ----------

The wider part of the post is damaged, that's why the clip comes undone. The holding tabs on the clip don't have enough surface to hold on to the post.

Changed for rubber springs 2 years ago on my 15+ years old fins without a problem. in fact this is a majour improvement on the old system.

My Super Channels have the same problem, though it is not nearly as rough as yours. Occasionally one side of the strap will undo itself.

Back
Top Bottom