Problem with my MDX-D300 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ramon Fregoso

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,
After almost a year without diving I am going to dive next Monday :D
About 8 months ago I saw that I was not going to dive so I removed all the o-rings, the big one from the housing and all on the ports and extensions, I packed all the equipment in a Lowepro photography bag all assembled, padded and well protected and stored the o-rings in a dry and dark place.
Today I was setting up everything for the Monday dives and when reassembled the MDX-D300 with the camera and lens inside as I always did I noticed that the buttons on the left side did not touch the buttons on the camera when depressed, play, delete, menu, lock, etc.
If I look through the top window I see that the pins inside are almost touching the camera buttons when depressed, but they do not get to activate the buttons.
I removed the camera, reinstalled the quick shoe, removed and reinstalled the housing o-ring, and did all this several times, but the result was always the same, the camera buttons cannot be activated.
The rest of the buttons, levers, knobs, etc. work perfectly, only the vertical row of buttons on the left, seem to be a little bit out of reach from the housing buttons.
Do you have any idea what could be wrong?
Please help me, I do not take pictures because I dive, I dive to take pictures and after a year out of the water I am very worried that my housing will not be able to come with me :help:
Hope you will have a solution.
Best regards.
Ramon

Not familiar with your housing, but going on the premise that your camera did not shrink and the housing did not expand...

Your camera is now mounted on a slight angle?

One of my camera rigs used a tray that had a slot for the tripod mount. If I was not careful to push the housing fully forward, the housing ended up on an angle.

I also have several scrap s&s housings which feature the ability to secure the camera on a slight angle....

giffenk,

he he, no it did not shrink.

The camera is mounted as is designed to mount, it cannot be angled. The mounting has to grab the focus knob on the camera which forces you to align correctly the quick shoe.
It was the first thing I tried, since as you mention, in others S&S housing that I have they can be angled if you are not careful.

I am afraid that the housing is not closing well and if I put it in the water it will leak.
Thanks for your reply.

Hi Ramon,

Please make sure that you have removed the eye piece shade and LCD cover before closing the back housing cover. If this has not been done, the back housing controls will not reach the camera controls.

I had the same problem. I never could figure out what the cause was.

The only solution I found was to add a washer to the camera mount to push the camera a little bit towards the buttons. And then I checked to make sure the buttons worked every time I used it.

Best regards,

john

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom