Problem with my new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you dive full mask, do you carry a spare non full mask ?

So in case of issue with your mask or regulator, you are supposed to switch to your backup mask and spare reg ?
Absolutely! And I've made especially certain that I'm proficient in switching between the two.

Forgive the green water. I had my "filter" turned on and it didn't really need to be. The water is quite blue like in my avatar, as it's in the same location. This was also my first time filming (or being filmed rather) this exercise.

Just another reason I dive full face. Certainly not a "cheap" fix but I don't face these issues at all. Well worth the financial cost as far as I'm concerned.

Mask envy....it's a real thing!! Local shop had Guardians on sale for $599 with the SAV. Two unplanned trips in Oct and Nov will keep me wishing until Christmas. Apparently the friggin elves can't make a Miller 250 amp mig welder or a full faced mask...or maybe I didn't make the good list again this year...

I don't think I have made the good list in almost 40 years...

Jay

Mask envy....it's a real thing!! Local shop had Guardians on sale for $599 with the SAV. Two unplanned trips in Oct and Nov will keep me wishing until Christmas. Apparently the friggin elves can't make a Miller 250 amp mig welder or a full faced mask...or maybe I didn't make the good list again this year...

I don't think I have made the good list in almost 40 years...

Jay
That's pretty decent for a Guardian. They normally run $750-$800 PLUS the SAV. I think I paid $585 for my G. Giver plus $50 for the SAV, and then a few other things like the 40" Mi-Flex hose, QD fittings, ball swivel, and directional exhaust. I've got about $850 into mine. And I'd do it all over again! In fact.....I did. My wife dives one, too.

very cool...thanks for sharing.

no water comes in while snorkeling or shallow dive..but while deeply dive i face this problem..
Performance of a mask should not depend on depth. Does it feel like the mask is getting tighter on your face as you descend? If so the problem is that your mask is not being equalized. Breath out your nose as you descend.

overtightening a mask is a far greater problem than undertightening. when overtightened the mask skirt is forced into a specific form rather than being able to form to your facial contour. to demonstrate to my students just how loose a maskstrap can be without causing problems, I often do a portion of a pool training dive without using a mask strap at all. Just the pressure of water around me holds the mask on with no leaks. and as Lee stated, if the mask gets too tight (by strap overtightening or pressure not being equalized) you will have problems at depth. Breath a little out your nose to keep from mask squeeze but not so much that you are constantly fogging the mask up.

Looking at that mask, however not knowing your facial structure, is it possible you have too much mask for your face? Serious, honest question for you. Could be no amount of strap tightening could snug all that material well enough. Do you hveryday à moustache? And, it is a possibility of a flaw with the mask?

As a former instructor, I found many of my students with that problem were 'squinting' when the leakage happened.

And there is always the possibility of an actual leak. Fill the mask with water like a bucket, let it sit for a while, then check for water under. If it leaks, it might be fixable. Most XStream are designed with frames that can be taken apart to add corrective lenses.
And, get a buddy, or a pocket mirror, to try and see what is happening underwater. Are you exhaling through your nose and breaking the seal with every breath?

Back
Top Bottom