Problem with Stage Bottle Rigging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a lie. As you can see it's not designed to the using on 80's.
I have tried to swim with the buckle like on a photo and by the end of the dive the band almost didn't hold a tank.

If the stage rigging is coming loose there a good chance you simply don't have the strap tight enough. As others have mentioned the velcro on the band does nothing to keep the strap tight.

If camband is not sufficiently tightened the "Tail" of the strap may not project far enough to catch the velcro.

Try "ratcheting" the buckle. Take the band out of slot #4 and open the buckle, pull hard on the strap. It may help to have somebody else hold the cylinder while you do this.

Keep pulling on the strap while you close the buckle. Repeat that a few times and leave the buckle closed for a while with the strap as tight as you can get it.

Do it again tomorrow. Get the strap wet too. These straps will stretch, all nylon does. With a little stretching I expect you will find you can reach the velcro.

The strap must be tight for the rigging to remain in place on the cylinder.

Tobin

You have enough bands in the buckle for the strap not to slide.
But it slides. The specific material of a band (it strongly differs from OMS or Dive Rite) + the plastic buckle + the short cam band give result - the band slides. Not strong, I can take the stage and bring it to the water, but after some time the band will be weak around the tank because of load.

Have your strap wet then size it and close the buckle. do not over-tighten it much as the strap might eventually break the buckle when it shrinks. You can also put a small piece of rubber under the strap. It will reduce the load on the buckle when the strap shrinks drying out.

Thx, I will try it maybe. But you know, when I buy the rigging for $60 (it was about $80 for me) I want to receive high quality product that I can use without any problem...

How do you know that DSS isn't willing to reimburse you for the shipping costs?
This is standard rules for international orders.

If the stage rigging is coming loose there a good chance you simply don't have the strap tight enough. As others have mentioned the velcro on the band does nothing to keep the strap tight.
I know how to use the cam band with buckle. And believe me, my TDI instructor-trainer with 10 year experience know this too.

I'm not sure what your real goal is here.

Just wished to hear your opinion. DSS have good reputation in Russia...

But it slides. The specific material of a band (it strongly differs from OMS or Dive Rite) + the plastic buckle + the short cam band give result - the band slides. Not strong, I can take the stage and bring it to the water, but after some time the band will be weak around the tank because of load.

We have sold 100's of these kits. You are the first to report you that it is not secure. How are the other users succeeding and you are not?

I know how to use the cam band with buckle. And believe me, my TDI instructor-trainer with 10 year experience know this too.

Apparently he does not.

The material used for the band was specifically selected becasue, when used properly it provides better retention then conventional camband materials.

In addition the DSS stage rig includes a soft compressible pad that improves the retention of the kit.

Of course the camband must be tight for it to work properly. This does require some effort particularly with a new set.

Tobin

I just looked at my DSS stage rig kit and the velcro does overlap by about 2", not like the one in you photo. I have used it quite a few times so it probably stretched a bit, but I assure you, it's DSS and the velcro parts overlap.

If the band is not tight the velcro won't overlap, and it won't stay one the bottle.

If the band is properly tightened the rigging stays on the bottle and the velcro reaches.

The softer webbing was used specifically because it allows for a tighter fit.

Pulling stick camband webbing through a cambuckle is much harder to do than pulling the softer webbing.

I tried one yesterday and it started out short when fit to an 80, but after getting it wet and ratcheting the buckle there was plenty of over lap.

I guess we need a video of how to tighten a cam buckle.:shakehead:

Tobin

We have sold 100's of these kits. You are the first to report you that it is not secure. How are the other users succeeding and you are not?
I don't know. It would be fine, if they posted some pictures of these rigging on the al 80's tank.

The material used for the band was specifically selected becasue, when used properly it provides better retention then conventional camband materials.

I see. Very high quality material:

Tobin, don't tell nonsenses please. Only difference is that your soft band wears out in time.

I tried one yesterday and it started out short when fit to an 80, but after getting it wet and ratcheting the buckle there was plenty of over lap.
I don't want to make some stupid works before installing the rigging. I don't need trash for high price. Do you find this fairly?

I don't know. It would be fine, if they posted some pictures of these rigging on the al 80's tank.

I see. Very high quality material:

Tobin, don't tell nonsenses please. Only difference is that your soft band wears out in time.

I don't want to make some stupid works before installing the rigging. I don't need trash for high price. Do you find this fairly?

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

As I stated before the material used for the cambands on the stage rigging was selected because it makes it much easier to get the band tight, not because it is cheaper.

We make 1000's harnesses and conventional cambands using resin reinforced webbing. I have 1000's of yards of it in stock most of the time.

If resin reinforced webbing was the better choice for the stage rigs I'd do it in heartbeat. It's not, I've tested both. The cost difference between the two types of webbing is pennies anyway.

If your claims are accurate how do you explain our other users success with the same product?

It's pretty clear to me that you don't really want a solution, your real goal is to try to damage my reputation.

Not much I can do to help somebody with that mindset.

Tobin

Tobin,
Your reputation is pretty hard to damage on here. I'm a huge fan.

I've spent considerable time on the phone with you to get the right rig. You never pushed for a sale, you were just happy to help a diver. I've had a few issues with orders and they've been dealt with appropriately. You've done me right everytime. I tell people to look at your gear while in pursuit of a new rig. If I was in the market for a rig I'd call you first.

Did you forget to add Smarties in the box when you shipped it? :D

Yeah Tobin, I don't think one unhappy guy is going to put a dent in your reputation.

You have helped me out personally a few times and I appreciate the time you spent.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom