problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
O.K. heres my problem. I have had the flu pretty much all week, and it has turned into a very good cold. Its starting to clear up, but my colds seem to last a very long time. Now this usually would not be a problem, but I start dive classes on Monday. The first class is just getting fit for gear, but, as of Tuesday night we start spending time in the pool. I have heard that you should not dive with a cold, but I'm wondering if it is ok to spend time in the pool with a cold. My first open water isn't until next weekend, so that should not be a problem, I just thought I would double check and make sure it was ok to go ahead with classes. Any help is mcuh appreciated. Thanks a lot!! :)

Kayla:)

I'm not a doctor but....

In the first pool session, you'll be learning to equalize your ears. When you have a cold this is sometimes hard to do. You don't want to take a chance on doing permanent damage.

I think you should see how you are before that first session and speak to your instructor. As bad as you hate to do it, you may need to wait until the next class :upset:

Thats what I was afraid of...... I am going to try to rest a lot this weekend, and I will talk to my instructor on Monday for sure, I hope I don't have to wait..... I'm way too excited to do that!!:( :)

Kayla,

Look at this as a blessing in disguise. Those weekend classes are too rushed to allow you to actually learn how to dive. Take this opportunity to cancel that course and look for one that is better organized and gives you more time to practice.

Kayla I agree with Walter on this one. It could be possible to cause damage to your ears even in the pool. He also has a good point on the weekend class. Weekend classes in my opinion are pushing it to much. Even if you are taking a private class one on one with your instructor a weekend is really pushing it. The more time you can spend in the pool the bettter prepared you will be for open water. I have noticed a big difference in open water dives with students that have been rushed through weekend classes and those who have spent extra time in the pool working on skills and just getting used to this exciting new world.

I hope you feel better soon, take the time to really enjoy your dive class. This truly is a lifetime of pleasure.

Tom

I don't get the impression that this is a weekend class that Kayla is taking. She has class on Monday and pool/class on Tuesday. It sounds like an OW dive on Saturday. I think she will have class and pool sessions the following week which will be followed by another OW dive and possible certification on the weekend. Overall a two week course IMHO. I can't tell from her post how many total class and pool sessions she will have.

I agree with the others on the weekend blitz courses--not a good way to go.

Kayla this could well be your first lesson and class has not even started. The lesson--knowing when to call off a dive no matter how excited you are about making the dive.

It isn't just a weekend class. We spend time in the pool on Tuesday and Thursday, and the first weekend in open water is just to practice the skills we learned the previous week. Then, we go back the next week on Tuesday and Thursday to spend more time in the pool as well, and have four dives (two each day) The following weekend. I'm not sure if that counts for just a weekend class, or if this is something different. Sorry for the confusion!:)

Sounds like you have an excelent class started Kayla I hope your cold gets better so you can finish it on schedule. :)

Tom

I went through the same thing on my dry suit certification, only I didn't have the advice of several knowledgable people on this board at the time!

I went diving anyway (took 12 hour sinus medication) and had a really hard time equalizing. This is NOT something you want to have to worry about on your first dive (pool or open water!)

You need to be concentrating on how cool it is that you are breathing underwater!!

:blbounce:

I seem to be feeling a little better tonight, so I'm hoping all will be well by Tuesday...... we will just have to wait and see....:) thanks for all the great advice!!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom