Problems when shooting in RAW format and using Photoshop Elements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was playing around the other night with my C5050 and decided to shoot some photos in RAW mode just to compair them to other modes. All went well until I tried to view them. They look fine on the camera and I can also view/modify them with the Camedia software but my Photoshop Elements 2.0 does not recognize them at all. I have tried to open them in "all formats" and the .RAW file formats with no sucess. TIFF files and all the .jpg formats work fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

herman:
I was playing around the other night with my C5050 and decided to shoot some photos in RAW mode just to compair them to other modes. All went well until I tried to view them. They look fine on the camera and I can also view/modify them with the Camedia software but my Photoshop Elements 2.0 does not recognize them at all. I have tried to open them in "all formats" and the .RAW file formats with no sucess. TIFF files and all the .jpg formats work fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had the same problem at first. Never did figure out what the "raw" file format was in Photoshop. Not the same thing.
With Photoshop you need the RAW converter plugin, or Photoshop CS that has a built in RAW converter. You can download a free RAW converter from Olympus to get you started but it has limited functionality. There's also the Adobe Camera RAW plugin, not sure if that is the free one. Not sure about ELements, if it takes the same plugins as Photoshop. There are also some pretty decent freeware RAW converters around. If you're interested I can try to find it...it's somewhere on my pc :eyebrow:

your camera should have included some type of raw converter with the drivers and utilities. usually a limited version.

Photoshop CS does a wonderful job and I use it in place of the OEM software

[There are also some pretty decent freeware RAW converters around. If you're interested I can try to find it...it's somewhere on my pc :eyebrow:[/QUOTE]

one note on RAW format, seems the camera makers can't come to terms on a universal format! therefore the 3rd party converters are usually a good choice.

Since most brands have different sensors don't expect a 'universal raw' format anytime soon. That said there are plenty of free (or nearly free) convertors out there that do a terrific job--I use my Canon digital rebel for astrophotography and only shoot in raw. The exposure latitude of raw sensor dumps is a must for my hobby, and no doubt would aid in adjusting (exposure/color balance) underwater photos as well. I just wish I could afford the U/W housing for my camera!

Sean

When Adobe released Photoshop CS, they removed the RAW plug-in for Photoshop7 and Elements from their website. It's no longer available.

They are releasing the new PSElements3 on Oct. 21 and it will have a RAW converter as well as other goodies included. Amazon.com is taking orders for it now.

There's been some great discussions on this on Digital Diver the last few days. In those discussions is a good explaination why the 3rd party converters won't work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom