Problems with Advanced and Stress/Rescue Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ti325v - I don't see how the instructor is going to make as much difference as you feel. I understand different people have different training methods and ways of connecting with students and all of that. The problem is that the instructor also learned from SSI so now I really doubt his/her skills. I am guessing that the 5th grade level must have been fine for him because he didn't complain and continued the class.

You forget, an instructor can bring their personal experience with them, that is not in the manuals, to enhance the course. Experience isn't just how long they've been teaching or diving, but is also what they have experienced (learned) as a diver up to the current time, whether from SSI, PADI, NAUI,..... or from real life experiences. That experience can make a world of difference. SSI does allow the instructor some freedom in what is taught & how it is taught, to help enhance the course. Sure, there are some instructors who choose to just regurgitate the manuals, but there are some that also use their own learning experiences to make the class better. That is where the difference lies.

Last edited:
I recently signed up for the SSI Advanced and the SSI Rescue diver programs at my local dive shop. They handed me a small stack of books that I needed to study for the class. Upon starting to read the books I felt extremely upset to find that the books were geared toward people with a 5th grade education, I was wondering if we were supposed to get crayons with the books?

The information in the books is correct and if you learn the material and practice the skills, you'll be a safer diver and will be able to assist others, which is the purpose of the class.

Using big words and complicated sentences will not make you a safer diver.

If you want a more comprehensive class, once you finish Diver Stress & Rescue and the other prerequisites, you can take the DiveCon class, which is much more difficult.

flots.

Anyway, it looks as of right now that I will have to take the advanced class unless the owner changes his mind and offers a refund. I only left a deposit on the Stress/Rescue class and am going to have to eat the deposit I guess. We will see if the dive shop owner makes this right or if money is his bottom line as well.

SSI has no "advanced class" so I'm not sure what you're taking about. And if you ditch Diver Stress and Rescue, you'll be blowing off the best non-professional class SSI offers.

Another point to keep in mind is that simple concepts and procedures are much easier to remember and implement in an emergency.

A simple four step procedure that works perfectly nearly all the time is much better than a two page flow chart that's mathematically provable as correct, but you won't remember when someone is panicking.

My suggestion would be to take your pride, stuff it in a jar and leave it in the closet until you've completed the classes. If at that point you still think you learned nothing, then you can go complain to the shop owner or your credit card company.

flots.

Last edited:
As Tammy mentioned the reading material may be shallow to you but with a good instructor there could be some added value, especially when learning how to apply a given skill to local conditions. I believe the greatest value will come when you put it all together during OW in very tough North Atlantic conditions.

flots am - I agree
Scott - I agree

and to the OP.... I don't think your wife will buy you any more scuba stuff, which is a shame. I wish my wife would buy me dive stuff.. bummer for you.

Remember, everything underwater is 10x harder, so while something may look like it is condescending or suitable for a child in a book or classroom, it isn't always that obvious down below.

Something as simple as deploying an SMB correctly for example takes time and patience to master, while it looks like child's play in the classroom.

The theory of dealing with a panicked diver is also elementary, but you try to remember procedures when your instructor is thrashing about like a wounded octopus, ripping your mask off and pushing your head underwater after having 'accidentally' pulled your reg out of your mouth because you made a mistake in your approach... No rescue class is 'easy', but it certainly is worth it. Stress and danger and adrenaline do narrow your perception somewhat, and unless you are used to that - (perhaps you are a special forces soldier, I don't know) - doing these tasks is a challenge.

Let's see if you ace the class and do everything right the 1st time when you try the skills, I bet you anything you will feel very pleased with what you learned after your class is finished.

Note: Never tried SSI, but Imagine it is similar to PADI, and it is the instructor that counts, mine was AWESOME.

Yes, I have to agree that the material is presented in a very elementary fashion. That being said, most of what is shoveled at us today is actually based on a 7th grade educational level. It might help to view the material as simply the basis for classroom discussion. Most of the material is presented in a way to simply "introduce" - as a starting point if you will. It is never written as a complete examination of a subject.

The interesting thing about this all is that the OP is a "solo diver":admingreet: as listed under his username. ...

now I know there is such a thing as self rescue which is a big part of the class but...anyway.

:admingreet:

SSI has no "advanced class" so I'm not sure what you're taking. And if you ditch Diver Stress and Rescue, you'll be blowing off the best non-professional class SSI offers.
flots.

You are correct. SSI does not have an "advanced class". What it probably is, is a weekend program with several specialties taught as a package deal, to facilitate those wanting to get their Advanced Open Water Diver Certs.

ti325v - I don't see how the instructor is going to make as much difference as you feel. I understand different people have different training methods and ways of connecting with students and all of that. The problem is that the instructor also learned from SSI so now I really doubt his/her skills. I am guessing that the 5th grade level must have been fine for him because he didn't complain and continued the class.

So by this rational, all any diver knows is what the agency and their books taught them? You mean to tell me that after all of your dives with all of your buddies, you have not learned anything beyond what's in the books? I respectfully call bullsh*t. A good instructor makes or breaks the class, not the books. While there may be a few instructors out there who just regurgitate what's in the books, I've found that the vast majority of dive instructors are experienced divers and teachers who cover much more material than what's in the text. Once the shop figures out who is going to be teaching your class, talk with them; you might be suprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom