Problems with Aqualung/SeaQuest QD Adaptor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FritzCat66

Florida Reef Cat
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently had my inflator/safe second hose upgraded to MiFlex by my local dive shop. Since I use an Aqualung/SeaQuest Airsource 2, the shop also installed the XS SeaQuest QD adaptor (XS part number AC 920) on the end of the hose.

The problem is: it doesn't actually mate to the Aqualung Airsource 2. At first I thought the collar on my particular adaptor was flawed because it just wouldn't slide down all the way, so I took it back to the shop. However, we tried another AC920 adaptor they had in stock and got the same results. So we started suspecting my Airsource 2 was perhaps mismanufactured (even though the stock Aqualung hose never failed), so we tried it on another AirSource they had in stock, same problem.

Then the tech noticed that, with some effort, he could force the locking collar all the way down, and we thought the problem was solved. However, it is a good thing we hooked it up to a tank to test it, because it leaked air badly! Again, we verified this problem using a different AC920 and a different Airsource, no change - when the collar is forced down to lock, the connection leaks.

So, I don't know if maybe the shop got a bad bunch of these adaptors (I know they bought all of them they currently have, including mine, all at once), but it seems to me odd that the XS adaptor made specifically for SeaQuest doesn't actually seem to work with a SeaQuest/Aqualung connector, at least not on an Airsource 2 or 3.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has XS tested the adaptor with the Aqualung Airsources? What is the solution here? I need a shorter inflator hose, and I would really like to go with MiFlex for that, but obviously I need a reliable QD connection.

>*< Fritz

HI Fritz. This is a problem that was discovered about four months ago. XS Scuba is working on a special adapter that will fit the AirSource/Oceanic fittings. It seems that there have been enough small changes to prevent the attachment of previous "airsource" family fitting from working on AirSource units. I expect that your local dive store will hear from XS Scuba as soon as this new fitting is available.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Thanks, Phil! I will be in touch with my LDS about this. If you can, please also post a notice (here or somewhere else on SB) when the new adaptors are out!

>*< Fritz

Has there been any movement on this issue yet....I really want to replace hoses but can't.

My LDS says they have some re-engineered XS adaptors in, but I haven't been by yet to do the swap. Will update this post when I do, but it might not be for a week or so.

Just following up... I received the updated XS adaptor from my LDS and replaced it. The new one seems to fit my Aqualung AirSource 2 perfectly, unlike the old one.

I will be taking it diving next weekend and will post here if I find any leaks or problems, but otherwise I think it's safe to say XS has fixed the problem with the Aqualung/SeaQuest LP adaptor.

Interesting.

Will this also work for the Aeris Airlink Octo/inflator (the A138's I've tried have leaked miserably)?

Just following up... I received the updated XS adaptor from my LDS and replaced it. The new one seems to fit my Aqualung AirSource 2 perfectly, unlike the old one.

I will be taking it diving next weekend and will post here if I find any leaks or problems, but otherwise I think it's safe to say XS has fixed the problem with the Aqualung/SeaQuest LP adaptor.

Glad to see a redesign is out on the QD from XS Scuba. Now I just have to see if it's available on-line somewhere so I can change my hose to a Miflex like I tried to do almost a year ago when I ordered a replacement from Divesports. Phil was very good about the whole thing and took back everything I ordered without hesitation. I'll try to throw my business his way again but don't see the fixed QD on his website yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom