Problems with my dive computor (Cressi Leonardo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freewillow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Dr Decompression,

I have had a discussion with the people @ cressi here in Europe and I would like to get your expert opinion on the subject. This is not in order to start a P.... contest with Cressi but in order to decide if this computor is worth keeping.

I have 100 dives with the Leonardo and I am not totally satisfied with it. So lets me explain. My mother tongue is french, so I hope that I am clear. If this is not the case, please bear with me and ask for clarifications.

I do a quite often dives close to the decompression limit and also double tank dives. This of course puts my "Leonardo" to the test. On a "square dive", e.g on a wreck, like if you dive to 30 m (100 feet), the ND time will be roughly the same compared to most computors. I used to have a ALADIN PRO. When I go into DECO mode and go to the different deco stops, it behaves as most other computors PROVIDING THAT I GO TO the deco level and not a few meters below. This represent a major difference with my Aladin PRO

The problem is that if you do a "normal dive" , that is go to +/- 100 feet level close to the NDL limit and that you go slowly up, the NDL will not increase like in other computors. It is only when you reach less than 6m (18 feet ) that the Leonardo will start the desaturation process. Most other computors start the desaturation process at much deaper levels.

The (bad ) consequence of this is that if you go close to the NDL at depth and you slowly go up with other divers and spend some time at +/- 20/25 feet like you have on most reef dives, you will end up in deco mode while others will be OK. My deco stop did one time increase from 3 to 4 minutes when I was at 18 feet .

On one of the last dives, one week ago, I ended up with 8 + 3 (safety stop ) when every else was with no deco. Imagine their faces.............. The dive operators confirmed this. For him the Leonardo is good for beginners and people that stay far away from the NDL. For more experienced divers it is a " pain in the xxx". I let you imagine their faces when this happened.

Hello Freewillow:
Thank you for the posting. Unfortunately, my specialty is physiology of decompression and not decompression meters. I am not able to help you, but I know that others will soon provide an answer.

Back
Top Bottom