Processed RAW vs JPG examples?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you look at the examples so kindly provided by flyingDiver you will see that most are better processed but several are quite good as shot. It isn't clear how much Sealife has tweaked the basic camera software; putting an underwater mode on is not all that difficult. I think that in relatively clean water and with strobes working well you will not need to tweak very much. As for processing, I think LR is so good at being a catalog/editing program you will not need PS for most things.
Bill

If you look at the examples so kindly provided by flyingDiver you will see that most are better processed but several are quite good as shot. It isn't clear how much Sealife has tweaked the basic camera software; putting an underwater mode on is not all that difficult. I think that in relatively clean water and with strobes working well you will not need to tweak very much. As for processing, I think LR is so good at being a catalog/editing program you will not need PS for most things.
Bill

With a few more dives with the camera I would tend to agree Bill - if the flash exposure is manually set for conditions, I think the as-shot jpegs will turn out pretty well. The DC2000 has an external flash sub-mode in the underwater mode that seems to get the white balance of properly exposed shots pretty close. I'll get a better idea in June in the Keys I with lots of opportunities to shoot on shallower reefs.

Personally, I think the improved quality of editing a RAW photo is so worth the effort. I have found the more I practice editing, the easier it seems, so not really much work for a far better picture to show off.

Unedited JPEG from DC2000:
DSCI0381.JPG

Edited RAW file:
DSCI0381-2.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my new DC2000 and to run right out and try it. Visibility was terrible. And I know I have a bad habit of over-editing...but here are my jpeg to RAW comparisons
IMG_1743.jpg
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1696.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom