processing software? what do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have always used adobe photoshop - I had the last version before it became a subscription service, I just updated my mac and it is no longer compatible - so I need something else - I don't mind paying for software - but don't want the subscription service - I just want to own the software.

What do you all use? I have tried GIMP -maybe I am dumb, but just don't really get how to use it. I have only played around a little bit, but had issues actually saving what I did etc.....

thanks all!

Capture One Pro (for Sony). I retired my old Olympus and started using a Sony a6000 which included an 'Express' version of Capture One for Sony. Since my old version of Lightroom didn't support my newish camera, I made the switch to C1 Express and then upgraded to the Pro edition.

Trying Corel paint pro 2020, hated the last version of adobe photoshop I bought

Any app that I have for my Mac that doesn’t work on any Apple update - the developer has always had a non advertised update to run on the new software for free.

Capture One does a good job, not quite PS but it can do many of the tasks - bit of a learning curve but the results are worth it. I also see lots of good reports on Affinity photo all can be tried out on a 30 day trial.

I found this on a forum post about the same issue, could be worth a try:

"Don't worry, there is an easy fix to this problem:

Go to System Preferences > Security > Privacy > Accessibility (left pane) and check "Adobe Photoshop CS6.app" (right pane). That's it, from now on Photoshop CS6 won't crash anymore on macOS Mojave. And can probably be used for many years to come."

I use Lightroom and Photoshop (latest versions before abbonement only). Very good, but sooner or later i will have to find an alternative or pay monthly :shakehead:

Wolfgang

I use darktable on linux, but I understand it works on Mac and Windows as well.

Hi @scottyd

You’re probably not going to like reading my post because it does not provide you with the solution that you want to find.

I’m a commercial photographer, and while I’ve experimented with a few other “semi-serious” digital darkroom programs, in my experience there is simply no other software that can do what Photoshop does. Once you begin to use some of the “advanced” tools/techniques like layers, masks, & curves, you will probably discover the shortcomings of all of the current potential alternatives. (You stated that you’ve “always used Photoshop.”)

@TC suggested that you use Lightroom as an alternative. I use it in conjunction with Photoshop, but do not consider it to be a replacement for the more powerful program. I’m not certain, but I think that Lightroom is now only offered on a subscription basis.

Like you, and many, many others, I despise the current subscription-only policy and would much prefer to purchase a single license for any software that I use. I delayed upgrading to the CC versions of the Adobe software for as long as I was able, but eventually had to acquiesce to Adobe’s protocols. From my perspective, Photoshop is essential to my photography from both artistic and commercial aspects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom