• Diver 3

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Diver 4

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Diver as described in my post.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Breaking off from another thread about training progression and the possible advantages of extending training and bottom time OC first.

Diver 1:
500hrs bottom time OC, trimix trained
20hrs bottom time CCR, OW trained

Diver 2:
20hrs bottom time OC, OW trained
500hrs bottom time CCR, trimix trained.

Who would likely be the more skilled ccr diver and better prepared to respond to the risks of a CCR OW dive?

Diver 3:
500hrs bottom time OC, trimix trained
150hrs bottom time CCR, trimix trained

Diver 4:
150hrs bottom time OC, trimix trained
500hrs bottom time CCR, trimix trained.

All other things equal (attitude, etc) who would you rather dive to 100m with?

Discuss at will, if people so desire.

Regards,
Cameron

'All other things equal (attitude, etc) who would you rather dive to 100m on a CCR with?'

or?

divers 3 and 4 have more total hours by well over 100 hours, so that's a huge benefit since 130 hours is quite a lot.

If you think about failure modes on CCR, especially in OW, then "when in doubt, bail out" applies so you want some experience in OC bottle handling and what not. Good instructors make you do all of this, but it's about real world experience.
Difference in diver 3 and 4. Diver 4 is likely going to have enough experience to not get off of the loop which has various advantages, vs. Diver 3 who may just choose to play it easy and bail out. Both should have sufficient OC experience to not be really phased by whatever issue they are experiencing.

Realistically though, after that many hours, it comes down to the individual, not the specific breakdown of hours

I was just wondering if you can actually being licensed to CCR with only 20hrs on OC.
Reading trough- you could!

TDI requires 20 OW dives OC
IANTD (US) wants to see or sell at least EANx (RCCR program up to 21m)
IANTD (Germany) requires ART or AdvNX
PADI likes a minimum of 50 dives (incl. course) and RD
SSI only requires AOWD (incl. EANx and deep speciality)

Air Diluent CCR Diver Course (Closed Circuit Rebreather) | SDI | TDI | ERDI
IANTD World Headquarters - Recreational Closed Circuit Rebreather Diver
IANTD Germany - Technical Diver Training
TECHNICAL DIVING TEC 40 CLOSED CIRCUIT REBREATHER
CCR Diving

oO well noted. Interesting to start CCR straight ahead.... However, makes me feel slightly uncomfortable about it.

What AJ said.

When your CCR breaks, ultimately you're an OC diver. 150 hours on a CCR should be enough for you to sort any real problems, and at that point you should be comfortable enough on the loop that you can stay on the loop if it's possible. It's also enough time to know when to flip the switch, whether due to inability to maintain a viable loop, or simply ease of finishing a dive on OC as opposed to having to work to maintain the loop. The potential task loading to maintain an adequate loop may cause you to miss something else, or it just might be annoying. Either way, twisty turney, go to offboard, ascend at all reasonable haste, live to argue on the internet another day.

I think some of y'all are missing that the OP is asking 2 different questions in one poll.

Personally, I would expect the guy with 500 hours on CCR to be a better CCR diver in every way than a guy with 20 hours on CCR. That just seems like a no-brainer.

As for Diver 3 vs Diver 4, it depends on the dive. If I'm diving to 100m (maybe someday!) on OC, then I want to buddy with the guy that has 500 hours on OC. If I'm diving to 100m on CCR, then I want to buddy with the guy that has 500 hours on CCR. All other things being equal (including my faith/trust in divers 3 and 4).

Back
Top Bottom