Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During the 9 days of diving in Cozumel we had 12 divers try the three prototype mouthpieces we had available. I got a lot of good feedback that I am still looking into.

The short story is that I am very pleased with the performance and functionality of the new DSV mouthpiece and the flow enhancements of the MP truly take full advantage of the Argonaut potential. With the new MP the Argonaut Kraken can now be adjusted to its full potential.

To see more information, we are having some discussions on this thread.
Vintage Double Hose
Vintage Double Hose

I will post more here when I have more time. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Man, I wish these were still in stock. I can't wait for 2016. I want one. WITH the DSV. I'm stoked to hear when they get released. I've never used a double hose before, I'm excited.

I have nothing to do with the production, that is all up to Bryan at VDH, but I believe they will be back in stock very soon.

The full package with the DSV is going to be IMO very nice. Note: yes, I may be a bit biased, but that is also the feedback I am getting.

If you are new to double hose, it will be different, but the feedback that I got from other new to DH divers and some beginner divers was very positive. The old perception that a DH can be hard to breath in some positions has been mitigated substantially by some of the design improvements.

I have sent a request for Vintage Double Hose to have a space in the manufacturers section of SB. This will give us the opportunity to share much more information.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

The new DSV mouthpiece is now available for pre-order.

Store - Vintage Double Hose
Store - Vintage Double Hose

There is more information under those links.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2015 at 03:01 PM ----------

I have been meaning to post this here.

Argonaut Mechanism

The video below is a spin-off from one of the many analyses I did during the detail design of the Argonaut.

This animation is a simulation of the mechanical motion of the parts.

NOTE: THIS VIDEO IS NOT A REPRESENTATION OF A BREATHING CYCLE. It shows cycling the demand valve into a fully open position. Fully opening the demand valve will only occur during artificial “worst case” test modes. The flow rate capacity of the fully open demand valve will exceed any diver demand, at any realistic work load, and at any depth where air could be reasonably used (in deeper dives, helium/tri-mix is recommended).

One of the many things that was calculated is the mechanical advantage of the lever during the full motion cycle. The letters and arrows in the video represent key dimensions used in some of the calculations:
• D1 (Delta1) and D2 (Delta2): represent the primary displacements in response to the demand valve diaphragm action.
• L1 and L2: are used to determine the lever mechanical advantage as a function of travel passion.
• S1: the spring compression. It is used to determine spring force (again, for the full range of travel).
• Some of the other variables are used for other calculations.
• The blue arrows represent directional vector forces on the lever (the arrow size does not indicate force magnitude).

The analysis associated with this animation is actually one of the simplest analysis that was performed, but it produced an interesting visual image of the functional parts in action.

Note: In addition, I also did structural analysis on most of the parts. As part of the flow analysis, I have many drawings of section cuts of the complete flow path showing flow cross sections.

The data generated from the calculations has been validated and verified whenever possible with component and/or system testing.

[video=vimeo;116820483]https://vimeo.com/116820483[/video]

First stage:
If you are familiar with a Royal Aqua Master (RAM) or a Conshelf first stage, you will recognize similarity with the Argonaut first stage. That (RAM) first stage design has proven to be the most dependable with over 50 years good reliable history behind it.

Air passages:
Downstream, the air passages between the first and second stage of the Argonaut are totally new and much improved from a RAM. The flow pass impedance is lower than other double hose or single hose regulators. Confirmation of the improved inter-stage flow comes from an almost instantaneous Intermediate Pressure (IP) recovery during a breathing cycle (measured on any of the ports).

Second stage:
Unlike the first stage, the Argonaut the second stage is very different from a RAM. It combines the success of my HPR design with a new volcano orifice and a new venturi flow alignment/ interface with the hose-horn in the case. The venturi flow is smoother with the hose-horn designed to match the air flow out of the nozzle.

The demand valve (second stage) is the key component in achieving a great-performing regulator. Therefore, I opted for a simple modern design with good track record of performance and reliability.

Mechanically the second stage has a very simple appearance, but it incorporates several important details to minimize friction and maintain a very predictable motion for very smooth performance:

• The lever-fulcrum and lever-work-point are well defined contact edges with stainless steel washers for a bearing surface with a long predictable/ low friction life.

• The second stage is assembled as a module. The lever contact points in the module are self-aligning, with no binding or unnecessary friction

• All materials were selected for durability and low friction, including the round synthetic beads at the tip of the levers.

All the critical parts (volcano orifices, lever, lever bearing washers, springs, seat carrier, etc.) can be replaced if damaged, worn, or corroded in order to maintain the highest level of performance.

The case/ housing:
Not shown in the video is the housing. The housing was specifically designed to be integrated with the venturi flow design of the second stage. The hose-horn alignment, the shape, and the distance from the jet were design to optimize the venturi flow. The diameter of the horn was driven by the preferred hose size, therefore the other three variables were adjusted for the desired flow pattern.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2015 at 03:09 PM ----------

Now the complete package is finally coming together with the new DSV mouthpiece. I have already been thinking of a couple of new projects, but there are still a couple of small details left to refine on this one, just some minor possible options.

Last edited:
Man, I wish these were still in stock. I can't wait for 2016. I want one. WITH the DSV. I'm stoked to hear when they get released. I've never used a double hose before, I'm excited.

I switched just a few months ago, got one of the last Krakens available. Loving it, the only thing that bothers me a bit is exactly the old mouthpiece: not too bad but it's not comfortable enough to me and free flows fairly easily at the surface (I need to do surface swims and so far have been sticking my tongue in it to prevent the freeflow). With the new mouthpiece it will come seriously close to being absolutely perfect for my needs.

As Luis said, the famed performance differences according to position in the water are actually incredibly small, I now don't even realise there are any to be honest. And since I'm always with a camera, I do occasionally get myself into an awkward position in the water. Never had an issue with the regulator and would only go back to single hose if absolutely necessary (cave diving?).

I switched just a few months ago, got one of the last Krakens available. Loving it, the only thing that bothers me a bit is exactly the old mouthpiece: not too bad but it's not comfortable enough to me and free flows fairly easily at the surface (I need to do surface swims and so far have been sticking my tongue in it to prevent the freeflow). With the new mouthpiece it will come seriously close to being absolutely perfect for my needs.

As Luis said, the famed performance differences according to position in the water are actually incredibly small, I now don't even realise there are any to be honest. And since I'm always with a camera, I do occasionally get myself into an awkward position in the water. Never had an issue with the regulator and would only go back to single hose if absolutely necessary (cave diving?).

I was going to suggest using the mouthpiece plug (it works very well), but at this point, we will have new DSV mouthpieces in just a few months.

The new DSV totally resolves that issue and it makes it really easy to keep the entire hose loop dry.

Luis and I diving in Cozumel a couple weeks ago testing out the new DSV on the Argonaut Krakens.
2299a4fc28fc005d56ab8ccdc8fcac4b.jpg

Nice picture.

Here is my dive profile for the wreck dive (in the picture above), the Felipe Xicotenantl C-53.
All my dives were done with the prototype 3D printed mouthpieces.

Here is my dive profile for Devils Throat (La Garganta del Diablo), in Punta Sur.
It worked just as well in 140 ft as it did in 20 ft dives.

Nice picture.

Here is my dive profile for the wreck dive (in the picture above), the Felipe Xicotenantl C-53.
All my dives were done with the prototype 3D printed mouthpieces.

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/wav...015-11-18 Cozumel 2015 _zpslzuy9wpk.jpg.html

Here is my dive profile for Devils Throat (La Garganta del Diablo), in Punta Sur.
It worked just as well in 140 ft as it did in 20 ft dives.

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/wav...015-11-18 Cozumel 2015 _zpsrbonombz.jpg.html

Just out of curiosity, what logging program is that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom