http://www.diveheart.org/

Promoting Scuba to the Public--Taking the Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Bill. Means a lot to me for you to say that.

The reason this is the format being used as opposed to a compilation of images is that consistency of message is a thing. While I do think that local videographers should be a part of the message, there must be a unifying, consistent center to it all that helps things stay on point for the series. Consider the Cousteau material and how it was done for prime examples of traveling to sites, then bringing local talent into the episode.

That makes sense.

You mean JYC and Jean-Michel thought I was local talent? Here I thought I was simply loco talent.

Hey John, let me just toss some things at you.

Would we be able to use this for broadcast on our local cable systems if we just buy the time (and, of course, contribute to the effort) using our added slides/video snips at the front and back?

Have you approached any industry people other than divers and dive shops for funding? We have been seriously pushing our vendors and one, in particular, showed some real interest in something along these lines (finally!) just last month. I appreciate the 'free' distribution via the web but, if we can get this out via television on a regional or national basis, wouldn't you think we'd reach a larger audience?

Just thinking. Do you mind if I suggest this to a few vendors and get their feedback?

That's a darn good idea. The only thing that concerns me is that most dive shops have no idea how much cable access costs, or how to go about obtaining it. Dive vendors might have greater access, and could use the series as additional support to their clients and as a means to sell-through more product. We also get into the aspect of how much to charge for each episode in order to allow permission to broadcast content, something we would have to do in order to fund future episodes of the series. All these things have answers, just need to look carefully at the possibilities to determine what they are.

Please go ahead and speak with your vendors and see what they have to say. Should be interesting.

FWIW, the reason I have been targeting dive shops and other divers is rooted in the idea that these are folks who have the closest-to-the-ground vested interest in seeing the sport grow and stay viable. Perhaps I should also be approaching training agencies and marketing associations as well?

---------- Post added May 9th, 2014 at 09:10 AM ----------

That makes sense.

You mean JYC and Jean-Michel thought I was local talent? Here I thought I was simply loco talent.

Shirley Temple - "Oh, my goodness" - YouTube

Seriously John, this needs support at every level. I'll spend some time on it next week.

And, FWIW, we moved our television advertising from local channels to cable and were able to pick the channels we wanted (think The Travel Channel, NatGeo, Discovery, etc.) and the unscientific evidence is that it was a good move. I've had at least four times as many people mention seeing those ads than ever before. Rates are pretty comparable and we negotiated a bunch of extra spots for making the move.

Advertising costs, but it pays.

Seriously John, this needs support at every level. I'll spend some time on it next week....Advertising costs, but it pays.

Thank you. I look forward to your findings.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2014 at 05:20 PM ----------

Here's a perk to consider from the Indiegogo campaign Around the World Under the Sea:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...ntributions/new?perk_amt=5000&perk_id=1933443

If your shop, a group of shops or dive organization or club of any size wanted to contribute $5000.00, then raffle off the perk to the membership for the 2 through 9 August Travel Adventure, think of the local publicity you could generate for yourselves plus support of the effort!

The same could be done with any of the other perks. Help us get this series into production.

Help us take everyone Around the World Under the Sea.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 10:17 AM ----------

Some folks have asked to see an example of prior video work. Here's a video done on spec for the Cobalt Coast Resort on Grand Cayman in 2013. It consists of a single, unbroken tracking shot shot entirely in one take and edited using Adobe Premiere Pro.

It's called Cosmo-eye View because the whole thing is shown from the viewpoint of Cosmo the dog, a welcome fixture at the resort.

[video=youtube_share;xkUW2uHQu6w]http://youtu.be/xkUW2uHQu6w[/video]

Last edited:
Eleven more days left in this campaign!

Won't you contribute to raising dive awareness for the general public and help create the next generation of divers?

Has anyone here taken a look at John's "teaser" video? It's really pretty good and could actually be used as a marketing piece on its own. I know it seems as if he's asking a lot but, in the big picture, it might not take all that much from everyone to push this forward. It's refreshing to see someone like Mr. Lewis working to help us all create more divers, but he can't do it alone.

Anyone have any other ideas as to how this might work?

Three days left to contribute!!

Back
Top Bottom