Propellers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingdon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For a time now I have been wondering about propellers. When they rotate through water they create pockets of gas. My question is where does this gas come from? Is it (presumably O2) coming out of saturation, or do propellers have enough force to break the bonds of an H2O molecule and release O2 from the water??? Puzzling....:confused:

Divingdon:
For a time now I have been wondering about propellers. When they rotate through water they create pockets of gas. My question is where does this gas come from? Is it (presumably O2) coming out of saturation, or do propellers have enough force to break the bonds of an H2O molecule and release O2 from the water??? Puzzling....:confused:

There'd be some water vapor in the cavitation due
to the vapor pressure of water at that temperature.
But that's irrelevant. The propeller is basically
just pulling a vacuum as far as the mechanics goes.

No more H2O molecule bonds are broken in this
process as are in spilling milk.

Regards,

--Mike

PanamaMike:
There'd be some water vapor in the cavitation due
to the vapor pressure of water at that temperature.
But that's irrelevant. The propeller is basically
just pulling a vacuum as far as the mechanics goes.

No more H2O molecule bonds are broken in this
process as are in spilling milk.

Regards,

--Mike
How do you know this? :crafty:

Yep, its basically a vacuum with some water vapor and other dissolved gasses. The damage to the prop comes from the shockwave of this hole in the water collapsing.

How do you know this? :crafty:
Uncommon knowledge is common to some :)

Hehe, you know you spent too much time in engineering when cavitation and mixed-phase flows seem like normal, everyday conversation. :D

The term your seeking is cavitation. Read about it. There is some controvery concerning the topic and exactly what is happening. At extremes it can damage propellers. N

that is similar to a diver farting underwater...Molecule bonds being broken..:wink:
inert gas spewing from areas less ummm...vented. No need for drysuit inflation...

scarefaceDM:
that is similar to a diver farting underwater...Molecule bonds being broken..:wink:
inert gas spewing from areas less ummm...vented. No need for drysuit inflation...

If you ignite the fart, you'd certainly break molecule
bonds but make some new ones, too.

Regards,

--Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom