proper amount for tipping on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticat99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
what does anybody think is a good tip on a dive boat.i have done 6 different island dives(cruise ship)and the one DM says 25 dollar tip is the right ammount seen people give that much and i sen people give 10 dollar tips .i have been on a few boats where they set all my gear up for me and i tipped them well but been on a couple that i had to set my own gear up .do you tip less in this situation?the one dive i did i set up my own gear while the crew just sat back and watched but one of the DM stayed down with me an extra 15 minutes while other peeps ran low on air and he dint rush me back to the boat so i thought that alone warranted a decent tip.just wondering how the general dive population tips

I tip $5-10 USD in the local currency per tank. Now if they do something special, like in Mexico where one of the helpers carried all my gear up and down the steps to the cenotes, I give that person an extra tip just for them.

$10 per tank is what we do.

Wow! So if you pay 30$ for 1 dive, you tip 10!!??

For us it depends on where we are in the world- but generally 10%
My apologies, I should have been more specific. That is here in the states. When overseas we ask and find out what the local customary tip is if any.

$10 per tank is what we do.
Same here.. $20 for a 2-tanker, $30 for a 3 tanker. Double that when my wife and I dive together.

Wow! So if you pay 30$ for 1 dive, you tip 10!!??

For us it depends on where we are in the world- but generally 10%

I've never seen a $30 dive trip. Where are those?

Usually I pay around $80 for a 2-tanker. That is the going rate in Florida for a cattle boat. Slightly less if I'm on a big trip and pay for a week of diving at once. That works out to about 25% for the tip. That's a higher percentage than I'd tip a waiter, but a waiter doesn't break a sweat while hauling my 80lb lp108 tanks to the boat. A good DM does.

Note: That's for excellent service, which I've come to expect (based on my personal experiences). If the DM sucks or is less than enthusiastic, I will tip accordingly (less). One time the DM in Coz accidentally lead us away from the reef and we spent a dive cruising around the sandy bottom. I didn't tip her at all.

Personally, I'm much happier with no DM at all. Unfortunately some places require them (cozumel, roatan, etc).

In Coron, Philippines, at Reggae Dive Center, three tank fun dives are about $76 so that’s about $25/dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom