• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Proper postioning of first stage on tank and BC

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by CDN ff, Jun 12, 2004.

1. CDN ff

CDN ff Contributor

Okay, guys, you have to help settle a five year long discussion amongst dive freinds. What is the proper position for the tank valve, first stage etc.... I will withhold our own two different opinions so as to not influence.. Have at it!!
    LOL feel free to post pics to back your position!

(It's amazing how many minute differences that people SWEAR by exist out there!!!)

CHEERS!

2. H2Andy

H2Andy Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    hmmm... odd sort of question, since this is pretty much standard? i guess i
    must be missing something...

i position the BC high enough on the tank so that the valve won't bang
    my head, place the first stage on the valve so it is not sticking out where it may
    catch on line or something underwater, and route my hoses the standard way
    (assuming OW diving)... to whit, primary and secondary regulators to the right,
    SPG and BC inflator to the left... voila

then secure secondary regulator to bungee around my neck, clip SPG to waist
    D-ring... and voila!

3. bnaudie

bnaudie Registered

I assume you're talking about your primary second stage that you bungee around your neck? Is this a DIY bungee? I have seen some that look like they're made from surgical tubing. What is the specific design that everybody is using?

4. bnaudie

bnaudie Registered

Tank on/off valve to the right shoulder side. Yoke knob to the rear, away from diver.

5. SuPrBuGmAn

SuPrBuGmAn Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Same here.

Also, I was taught to use a left handed octo which means my primary 2nd stage is the only line I have coming from my right side. However, I'm using Air2 now so its slightly less gangly.

6. CAPT HOOK

CAPT HOOK Contributor

Strange wording - anyway Tank valve UP not down like firemen, 1st stage would depend on the brand. Some only work one way while others , like some Tusa's, can be mounted so that the top of the 1st stage can be up or down which can help stop head banging.

7. Snowbear

Snowbear NOK ScubaBoard Supporter

Hopefully backup or secondary 2nd stage. Yes, most bungied setups are DIY. Some are actual shock cord (bungie), others are surgical tubing - personal preferance varies.

8. edneeves

edneeves Instructor, Scuba

Mine is pretty much exactly like this, with the addition of Air2 on the left with inflator.

Ed.

9. H2Andy

H2Andy Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    no, my back-up second stage (i.e. the "octopus"). my primary
    second stage is on a 7-foot hose and it routes along the
    right side of my body, up across my chest, behind my neck,
    and forward on my mouth.

as to the rest, what snowbear said.

for example, mine is made out of bungee, and i used two cable ties on either end of the mouthpiece to secure the "noose" around the mouthpiece... dang i wish i could explain it better.

my first one, someone made it for me, with knots. i just copied
    it with cable ties.

10. Mako Mark

Mako Mark Contributor

I think you better cough up your own pics Canada, we need more details to avoid this thread being hijacked into a great hogarthian debate.

Show us pics of what you do and what you buddy does without telling us which is which, and we can ask the high priests of diving what they think! You could even post it as a poll.