Proper tank storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brilig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I saw a thread the other day asking people how many tanks they owned and how they stored them and it got me thinking. I have two new steel HP 100s and an aluminum 30cf. I store them in a climate controlled area but have considered storing them in an outdoor shed. The shed would subject them to temperature swings from below zero to as high as 100 F seasonally. I worry that any moisture within the tank could condense with temperature change and cause corrosion.
What steps do LDS's take to minimize moisture in the fills. Am I just over thinking this?

Do not store your filled tanks out in the sun.

Other than that, they're metal cylinders. Al is pretty much foolproof. With steel, corrosion happens - but the way to prevent it is to make sure there's no moisture within the tank. A proper shop fill will be dry.

@Briig No issue storing them in the shed. Get your air from a reputable dive shop and you are all set. I have steel tanks that over 30 years old and they are fine.

Thanks for the fast response. This will free up some space in my workshop.:)

A tank at high pressure will hit the dewpoint of the gas as you get below 20 deg F even with air dryer than most shops put out. A -60F dew point is dry scuba air but it will condense above 30 deg F.
FREE Dew Point Calculator | Alpha Moisture Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom