proper way to sharpen a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bebo

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a Blue Tang knife and I want to to know if there's a proper or different way to sharpen a diving knife and keeping it sharpened.
Thx in advance:)

It can also be hlepful to have a power buffing wheel to clean of that tiny little burr at the end of the sharpening job.

Thx a lot guys!!!:)

I agree, the Lansky kit works great :thumb:

I just wanted to add;

A couple years ago I upgraded to the kit with the Diamond stones.
It does the same job, but in much less time!!
You can even take a knife with a blade that's been trashed, and give it a whole new edge,

I gave my old kit to my son. :)

Lansky Diamond goodies:
Use the link above & plug in: "lansky diamond" in the search box, it'll lead you to individual hones & a complete kit.
The sale item seems to be the best deal though. If you have a lot of the high carbon blades (hard to sharpen), diamond will knock a LOT of time off the job.
The regular stainless dive knives are soft enough that they don't need diamond, unless you've been trying to saw through wire rope or something.:wink:
[
I gave my old kit to my son.
I suspect that's the reason I can never find my sharpening kits; my kids keep hijacking the critters.:tease:

Sharpening is a VERY complex topic. There are a lot of different methods and tools.

I personally use the Spyderco Sharpmaker. You can see it here: www.spyderco.com

I can put a razor edge on all my knives with little effort using the Sharpmaker. Diamond stones are nice if the knife is really dull or resistant to sharpening. DMT makes nice diamond stones.

If you are looking for sharpening technique or have any other knife related questions, www.bladeforums.com is the best place to go.

That Lansky kit is best I've ever used! It sharpens the hell out of Titanium and steel. My knives have never been sharper.

Now I just need to figure out how to sharpen the serrated edge.

Colin Berry

Anybody tried the Chef's Choice line of electric sharpeners? I hear they are a great way to remove the drudgery from the chore of knife sharpening.

Back
Top Bottom