Proper weaving of cam straps through BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've yet to see a STA-less BP/wing set-up that had the same rock-solid stability of one that uses a STA.

Perhaps not. But question is if it is good enough or not. I was spinning around and shaking and it felt just fine. Things were looking good w/o STA.

I don't want to use STA as it has little to no benefits as HOG 32lb wing has built in groove to keep tank stable.

An STA, especially a weighted one, lets you move more weight onto your backplate and off your belt. Particularly useful for diving with an AL 80 and a drysuit or any thick exposure suit. And they do get the first stage out of the back of your head.

Also once you get your cam bands just right, you don't have to adjust them. There's a fad right now for singles wings that have a slot for tank mounting so you don't need an STA. I think that only really makes sense if you don't dive doubles often or at all.

I would agree that, if you go between doubles and single tanks often, an STA would be useful (or having two plates, which was my solution). If you're just diving single tanks, I think you can get a very good result without an STA. I have DSS wings and the tank is rock stable with them, without an STA.

I've yet to see a STA-less BP/wing set-up that had the same rock-solid stability of one that uses a STA.

I have a Oxycheq MV on a Dive Rite plate. The bugger is as rick solid as a Sherman Tank. No need to travel with the extra weight of an STA.

When I used a zeagle plate without an STA, I also found it stable. I have a friend with the DSS 30# single wing who confirms that its quite stable. The DSS setup with the elastometric blocks etc. is a really neat configuration. But I don't doubt my friend will switch to an STA now that he's starting to dive doubles more, and I found I really preferred an STA once I got one, even if it does add 2-5 lbs of travel weight.

The dive season ends and this is what we have to do, argue about STAs...

Dive season ends? I'm going diving this afternoon!

iztok - I have the same plate and wing. If you try to use the outter slots the cams are going to be a little too short to get a good hold. Using the inner slots works fine. And there's is enough of a channel on the HOG wing that you do not need an STA. It holds it more than secure. The only reason to go with an STA on that setup is if you wanted to add weight. (but trim pockets work equally as well.)

Hah! Yes, you live in one of those parts of the country...

Actually there's still one boat running from near New York, and they went out last Sunday. Personally, I don't mind decompressing in 42 degree water. Or 2 foot max visibility. Or the 4-6 foot waves. Or waking up at 5 am to get to the dock by 6:30.

But doing a surface interval in 50-degree air, on a boat in the windy, wavey North Atlantic, after coming out of that 42-degree water... That's just misery.

I am with you here TSandM!

I did pool check on my 3mm and new wing for singles. In 3mm and SS BP I didn't need any extra weights. Now I am switching to doubles again. Which means change of BP and switching regs and hoses. One day I will have enough hoses and computers etc :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom