• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Proposed Ban on Spearfishing in Southeast Florida

Discussion in 'ScubaBoard Articles' started by SB News Feed, Feb 1, 2016.

1. SB News Feed

SB News Feed News You Can Use

2. scuba-todd

scuba-todd Angel Fish

3. fdarden

fdarden Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
  4. Giant Stride

Giant Stride Garibaldi

I did read the proposal and it does have some good points however I find it odd that Spearfishing on Scuba is specifically targeted due to its selective nature (and it appears spearfishing while Freediving is okay although they are typically more successful with larger fish and catches due to the stealthy nature of breath hold diving)…..there's no by catch like with commercial fishing. I don't know the ratio of divers Spearfishing to Recreational line fishing but I'm sure its more than 1 to 50!

5. Tom Ahola

Tom Ahola Angel Fish

I think banning spearfishing would be great there as I have an apartment in WPB! I won't enter the water if there are weapons around. Enjoy life - stop killing!

6. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I did... I don't like this:

7. jhnmdahl

jhnmdahl Solo Diver

That's the problem - N-59 banning scuba spearfishing conflicts with S-67 which encourages eradication of invasive species, and should probably be amended to exclude invasive species. Far too few think of the consequences of their rules, laws, etc., these days.

8. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

The comment period for these proposals was a month and a half ago. The topic was posted on SB previously, prior to that time. The open meetings have already been held. This post seems a bit late, huh?

9. jhnmdahl

jhnmdahl Solo Diver

10. Reku

Reku Solo Diver

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Lion-fish are a bane to humanity and scourge on this earth - they all need to die. That said if scuba spearfishing is banned - you can always move to underwater scuba/rebreather bow fishing. It's a real thing and it works.