Pros and cons of BFKs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I carry a ceramic-blade line cutter on all my dives. It's light, it's safe to use, and it's effective on fishing line and many other possible entanglement hazards.

I am thinking of also carrying a traditional dive knife on some dives because of the possibility of encountering things that the linecutter won't cut. The main disadvantage of a line cutter is that it won't work on anything that is larger in diameter than the opening, which is about 3/16" or so -- even fairly soft things that are easy to cut, like vegetation, or old ropes.

The usual reason advanced for leaving the BFK at home is the relatively high frequency of serious self-inflicted injuries while using them. I am questioning that received wisdom and wondering whether it mainly applies to people who don't know how to dive and people who don't know how to use a knife. Or perhaps the problem is people who carry only a BFK and not a linecutter, who are then stuck using the wrong tool for the job in some cases.

Advice on what to look for in a dive knife welcome, also.

Not so much about a big blade but it's nice to have a nice handle to get a hold of while wearing thick gloves. I dive plenty of low viz lakes so I want to be able to cut rope.

Stick em in a pocket. That's where my shears stay. Clipped off to a length of bungee. The DIR knife gets mounted horizontal on my BPW with the handle covered by the tail of the harness that comes through the buckle.

I had one of those once and was unconvinced that either the shears or the "DIR knife" would stay in the sheath provided.

not sure how the sheath works. I personally use the DSS knife sheaths which are brilliant, but not cheap since they use some custom pressing for the webbing that causes the knife to hold into the sheath

I had one of those once and was unconvinced that either the shears or the "DIR knife" would stay in the sheath provided.

I got these DR shears a few years ago. www.diverite.com/products/accessories/trauma-shears-w-daisy-chain-clips/ (I think DGX sells them) A bit pricey and I've long since replaced the shears with cheap ones, but the sheath is excellent. Nice and snug with a Velcro lanyard. I don't use the little clips, just the 2 inch webbing loop. Never lost them on a dive.

not sure how the sheath works. I personally use the DSS knife sheaths which are brilliant, but not cheap since they use some custom pressing for the webbing that causes the knife to hold into the sheath
The DGX sheath seemed a bit questionable. I bought a Halcyon sheath for the DGX knife, haven't had any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom