Pros/cons of weight integrated BC vs weight belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a newbie...

Trying to figure out the pros and cons of getting a weight integrated BC or using a weight belt.

The first thing I can think of is taking the BC off underwater...in the case of entanglement perhaps.

Wouldn't it be a little difficult to remain down in this situation?

I have used both but I ended up buying a weight integrated BC. I love it. Having a weight belt sitting on my hips bugs me, it always seems to loosen and move around during the dive. Just one more thing to mess with instead of enjoying the scenery. As for the entanglement, I suppose if you got into trouble you could remove your dumpable weights and carry those with you.

I've used several brands and types. I prefer a weight integrated back floater for comfort above and below water. They travel well too.

My brand preference is Zeagle, they arn't the only game in town, but they provide a+ service, secure weight system that is "fool proof", and modular sizing.

There ara a lot of BP/W users on the board who are sure to chime in....Very popular on scubaboard, but may be uncommon where you dive, not to say that a BP/W is not a good system.

Look around your area, see what divers are using, ask questions and try some diferent rigs on, dive them if you can, then make your choice.

Hi... when I dive, I use both. In the first place, I dive with a ton of neoprene (6.5 mil XXXL), so I dive heavy. Some in the BC, some on the waist. There are a bunch of reasons. First: the weight belt no longer has to be ditchable, so I wear suspenders. Makes the slipping down problem go away. If I need to ditch weight fast, I can drop the BC pockets. If I have time, I can open the pockets and drop the lead. (New pockets are expensive). Second: neither the BC or the belt are stoopid-heavy. Third: if the need arises to remove the BC underwater (entanglement), neither I nor my air take off on a free ascent. Finally, I spread the weight around better for trim purposes.

NJMike:
I'm a newbie...
The first thing I can think of is taking the BC off underwater...in the case of entanglement perhaps.

Wouldn't it be a little difficult to remain down in this situation?

You are absolutely correct, especaily if much neoprene is involved. And don't think a reason to do so is obscure. Not frequent but worth being prepared for.

Here is a recent thread including some posts I made:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=157719

Pete

I prefer a weightbelt for this as well as other reasons.

The first thing is to put weight where your static balance permits a horizontal diving posture. That may be possible with weight integration, especially if the BC has trim weight pockets in the back, or it may not be.

The second thing is to put weight where it is comfortable and manageable.

For me, both things mandate a weight belt. I do poorly with weight hung from my shoulders, and my trim is better if the weight is down on my waist. It also makes the rig easier to move around. For the same reason, I am avoiding a V-weight with my doubles.

I prefer a belt when diving a single tank. Mainly due to having myself and my rig both neutrally bouyant but also to have less hanging on my BP/W.
With doubles I dont get much choice. I dont need any weight. If I could swap my tanks for lighter ones at no cost I would just so I could have some weight on a belt to keep me and my wetsuit neutally bouyant.

Interesting, I thought the comments would favor the weight integrated BC, but it doesn't seem so.

If I can find a buddy to go diving with next weekend, I am planning on renting the entire setup from my LDS to try out - the W/I'd BC, reg, octo, gauges...that I'm thinking about purchasing. Since the BC has the weights, I'll get to try it out. And if too much neoprene becomes an issue for the weights...the BC holds up to 20 lbs...guess I could always get one of those soft belts (which I have never used either).

Thank, all.

I think many people who've taken a good look at weighting, and WHY it's there, have come to the realization that a weight integrated BC is really not the best solution.

If you get your rig set up so it's balanced in the water, and weight the diver so that they are neutral in the water, it only requires carrying enough weight to account for the swing of the weight of the gas.

In my case, my rig is negative enough, so that I don't need weights at all. I am slightly positive, my rig is slightly negative. If we need to part ways in the water, I won't become a rocket, and my rig will sink slowly.

With weight integrated, the same scenario would make me a missle, and my rig an anchor. Not where I want to be.

Of course, the other issue is that I don't really like BCs :)

Back
Top Bottom