Proton Ice Extreme Now available!!! Woo Hoo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
http://www.mares.com/product_main_pics.php?id=416128.png

Impeccable Reliability, Even in Extremely Cold Water

In collaboration with the United States Navy, Mares has designed an exclusive product, conceived to guarantee maximum performance and reliability in the most difficult cold water conditions, even ice diving.

• Approved by the United States Navy for dives at extremely low water temperatures, down to -1.7 °C / 29 °F
• Equipped with the revolutionary tri-material valve
• All-metal second stage
• Entire 2nd stage case and all key components coated with fluoropolymer resin finish
• Accessorized with the CWD kit
• Available in an Octopus version

I just got two of these in and I am taking one to Iowa Jan 19-22 or Feb 2-5 ( whenever the best ice forms) for my ice diving excursion. Has anyone used this regulator yet in extreme conditions? If now I will post my review when I get back.

Debraw:
http://www.mares.com/product_main_pics.php?id=416128.png

Impeccable Reliability, Even in Extremely Cold Water

In collaboration with the United States Navy, Mares has designed an exclusive product, conceived to guarantee maximum performance and reliability in the most difficult cold water conditions, even ice diving.

I just got two of these in and I am taking one to Iowa Jan 19-22 or Feb 2-5 ( whenever the best ice forms) for my ice diving excursion. Has anyone used this regulator yet in extreme conditions? If now I will post my review when I get back.

Are you back yet? How well did the reg work?

I picked up a Mares Proton Ice V32 a few weeks ago, and took it with me on a trip (just this past week) to Key Largo.

I made thirteen dives with the reg. On the first dive, it started making a very small squeeking sound about 45 minutes into the dive.

Subsequent dives, the squeeking sound got worse... The regulator was working fine, but once I hit 1000 PSI, nearly every breath I took sounded like I was playing a harmonica. No problems delivering air... just very annoying noise.

I think it's a problem with the first stage, as the harmonica sound occurred when I was using both my second stage, and when I switched over to my octopus.

So.... I'm taking it in for a check-up under warranty this weekend.

Honestly, I wish the exhast vents were about a half inch longer to push the bubbles away. The first few dives, I was having to clear my make quite a bit. My older regulator, the vents are much larger/longer, and I have a dry mask dive after dive. AFter about five dives, I pretty much had a dry mask... but I'm going to investigate adding some sort of extension to the exhaust... another half inch would make a world of difference.

Took my regulator to the LDS to see if they could do anything about the "Harmonica" sound the thing makes when I hit 1000 psi.

They claim it's a harmonic thing with the main spring in the first stage, and there really isn't anything they can do about it. Told me that they could take the thing apart, flip the spring, and it may or may not fix the sound problem.

The reg breathes fine... just makes this very loud harmonica sound with nearly every breath (heavy or light), once I hit 1000 psi.

The guy told me the noise might go away after a while, maybe it wouldn't.

Anyone else have this experience?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom