Proton octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the Mares website, NO, the proton octo is not nitrox compatible. I have the 2004 proton octo and looked up my manual and there is no mention of nitrox compatibility.

Here is a link to the Mares website:
http://www.mares.com/product_detail.php?id=69&region=USA
If you click on the TECH INFOS (red tab on the right), you'll see what it says about nitrox compatibility.

If purchased in the U.S., the proton octo is nitrox compatible up to 40%. Anything beyond that and you are looking at acquiring a nitrox kit to upgrade the octo. This applies to all of the Mares regulators. Europe has different standards which explains the confusion. Our manual included with a new regulator addresses the nitrox compatibility. Please see this cut and pasted from a Proton Ice Extreme Manual.

"FOR NORTH AMERICA ONLY
Mares regulators, alternative second stages, and gas delivery components are designed for and compatible with open circuit SCUBA using compressed air or enriched air (Nitrox) mixtures not exceeding 40% Oxygen ONLY.
These limits conform to the DAN Nitrox Industry Workshop Proceedings of November, 2000.
Failure to follow this warning may result in SERIOUS INJURY or DEATH to the user due to fire, explosion, or the deterioration or failure of the equipment."

I'll talk with our Web designer to see about changing the verbiage on the mares website. Thanks for bringing this up.

Zak OHara:
I'll talk with our Web designer to see about changing the verbiage on the mares website. Thanks for bringing this up.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess you can't believe everything you read!:D
I can't speak for the newer regs, but my 2004 abyss and proton make no mention of Nitrox compatibility. It would be good if the reg manuals stated something about being compatible.

Regards,
Phil

Phil,

We have addressed the regulator manuals. I am not certain which date the new statement (see above) went to print with the regulator manuals. Sometime last year I believe. However please note, the regs sold in North America prior to the new printing in the manuals are nitrox compatible to 40% out of the box.

Sincerely,

Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom