• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Proud dad of my new dive buddy!

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by aviator8, Sep 3, 2019.

1. aviator8

aviator8 Photographer

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Tooting the horn for my newly certified daughter. She is 11 years old and did fantastic on her tests and checkout dives. She scored a 95 on her exam, and passed all her skills with no issues. I was able to be her buddy for the check dives and took along my rig to document her accomplishment. I can not wait to show her the underwater world.
    P1010417.jpg P1010371.jpg _DSC2761.jpg _DSC2737.jpg _DSC2751.jpg

Attached Files:

B.Elster, Rollin Bonz, KWS and 24 others like this.
  2. Graeme Fraser

Graeme Fraser Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Well done both of you! I'm sure many years of father / daughter adventures await. Nice rigs by the way. Digging the orange theme. :cool:

RyanT, chillyinCanada and aviator8 like this.
  3. chris kippax

chris kippax Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Great work!! I can only dream of this day
    8 more years to go

You must be very proud

aviator8 likes this.
  4. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Congratulations!!!

I wish you both many decades of diving together in safety, health and happiness.

Did you buy her her own rig yet? What brand are you buying her??

aviator8 likes this.
  5. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Good gear I like your choice of spg clipoff but where are the shoulder D rings going
    Those swivels are junk get an elbow instead and run the hose under the the arm or
    get a shorter hose and run it over the shoulder with no swivel but you don't do both

Where is the inflator????? Affix it to the shoulder webbing, tie it with string just affix it

Ditch the snorkel i'ts too busy around there and provides nothing from a safety point

Pay close attention, attempting to control the BCD with the snorkel is quite common.

6. Neilwood

Neilwood Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Congratulations to you and your daughter. Here is hoping for many more years of diving with your buddy.

As I posted on a similar thread, you might wish to take rescue if you haven't already. You are going to be the one in charge so make sure you have the judgement and skills that you might need.

aviator8 likes this.
  7. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

A8...

Fabulous...believe me...you are the envy of many...including me...

She's kitted out very well...thanks to your skills and knowledge...which will contribute greatly to making all the difference in the world for her...

Wonderful...all the very best to you both...

Warren

aviator8 likes this.
  8. Saniflush

Saniflush ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Congrats. I hope to be sharing the same type of story next year

aviator8 likes this.
  9. aviator8

aviator8 Photographer

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Thanks everyone

I did, mostly Deep6 and Diverite

I am not sure I follow? She has two, they are part of the DiveRite Travelpac BC she is wearing. THey do sit lower than most BPW setups though.

She has the same setup as me. 22" on a necklace, 40" primary orange that is "supposed" to go under the arm as you state. I keep telling her to move it under the arm, then 5 mins later it is back out to the side. She is very short so that may be the larger issue. I have considered moving that hose to the bottom port so that it more naturally routes down and under the arm. For the swivels, these are good quality swivels. I like them. They are sold by Edd Sorrenson over at Cave adventurers. He is not exactly known for selling junk. They came recommended by @cerich who is also selling them now.

There is a velcro strap to hold the inflator. I should probably put the lpi hose under a bungee to keep the inflator more fixed as it is short and tends to drift back if you forget to reattch.

Agree and so does she. She wanted to leave it off on every dive. It was required that she wear it during training. She doesn't want it as it is always in the way.

I watched her do this on more than one occasion so glad it will be out of the way now.

Agreed. Rescue is on the dockett. I have previous lifegaurd and rescue skils, but a Scuba Rescue course is one I will do.

FezUSA, delacrue96, Neilwood and 2 others like this.
  10. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

That’s awesome! Nothing like diving with family!

aviator8 likes this.