Proud dad of my new dive buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats! Nice to see young people getting involved!!!

Fix your bolt snaps. Both of you. They go next to the swivel, not up the hose. She needs a shorter necklace. Definitely go with the bungee for the inflator, the velcro isn't working, evidenced by her inflator behind her in most of the photos. 22" hose is probably too long for her secondary right now. Go with an 18" and it will fit her size better.

Couple tweaks she'll be really dialed in. Good job giving her a good foundation.

Congrats! Nice to see young people getting involved!!!

Fix your bolt snaps. Both of you. They go next to the swivel, not up the hose. She needs a shorter necklace. Definitely go with the bungee for the inflator, the velcro isn't working, evidenced by her inflator behind her in most of the photos.

Couple tweaks she'll be really dialed in. Good job giving her a good foundation.

boltsnaps net to the swivel have them hanging around your chin and neck in the dive which is a bit annoying. Also I put them a little further down so that when the primary is clipped of to the chest D-ring there is enough slack to get the reg in your mouth even if you have a problem unclipping quickly. Probably overkill, but if it was clipped off and i can't reach it and have an issue unclipping, and my backup has an issue I can still get it in my mouth.

On the necklace I think I will swap that. I have another I made that has fisherman's knots so it is adjustable.

Tooting the horn for my newly certified daughter. She is 11 years old and did fantastic on her tests and checkout dives. She scored a 95 on her exam, and passed all her skills with no issues. I was able to be her buddy for the check dives and took along my rig to document her accomplishment. I can not wait to show her the underwater world.
Congrats - a great, lifelong connection and pastime to share with your daughter!

Thanks everyone /snip

Agreed. Rescue is on the dockett. I have previous lifegaurd and rescue skils, but a Scuba Rescue course is one I will do.
Great. I would imagine a lot of your previous lifeguard and rescue skills will be useful but, given the importance of who you are diving with, I would suggest that you can't be overprepared!.

Knowing you are prepared will allow you to relax more and have more fun.

boltsnaps net to the swivel have them hanging around your chin and neck in the dive which is a bit annoying. Also I put them a little further down so that when the primary is clipped of to the chest D-ring there is enough slack to get the reg in your mouth even if you have a problem unclipping quickly. Probably overkill, but if it was clipped off and i can't reach it and have an issue unclipping, and my backup has an issue I can still get it in my mouth.

On the necklace I think I will swap that. I have another I made that has fisherman's knots so it is adjustable.

I can see that you did it on purpose, but it dangles when clipped which subjects your seconds stage to dangling, entanglement, damage, environmental intrusion, etc. You have to control the second stage when manipulating it. that means if you have to clip or unclip, you have to grab the bolt snap. If it's halfway up the hose the second stage is flopping around. Floppy second stages are bad news.

Ditch the snorkel i'ts too busy around there and provides nothing from a safety point
I'm assuming the photos are from her check-out dives. If so, I was required to wear my snorkel on my check-out dives - but, normally, do not have it attached these days.

Nice! #3 photo: where's that? It looks for all the world like someone drove a ski run groomer along the bottom!

I'm assuming the photos are from her check-out dives.
Yes these were her last two checkout dives

Nice! #3 photo: where's that? It looks for all the world like someone drove a ski run groomer along the bottom!
This is at Lake Jocassee South Carolina. That's a boat launch ramp. It extends out underwater to a depth of about 20 feet. That was near the end of the dive just out from the dock where the fish hang out. She picked up a few clam shells and was trying to entice the Brim to come in and check them out. This is a part of the park that has a ramp for non motorized boats were a lot of divers go.

Congrats on your new dive buddy! My teenage son and I learned to dive together, and it is a great bonding experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom