Proud dad of my new dive buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol, I hear that. Mine is a hockey player...and a goalie...so that says a lot about his judgement lol (sidenote, so am I, so i'm allowed to say that :) )

How was your daughter with equalizing? I have a 10 year old that would really like to get certified (actually, I have a 13 and a 15 too, but I'm not worried about them). He says he has an issue with his ears, he can't understand how to do it. I think that would be his hardest obstacle. Other than that he's a fish.

What depth do you plan to take your daughter to? Someone told me that taking a younger person to depth could do something to the density of their bones and cause issues later in life. I would like to get my little one certified but I think we would probably just go to 20' so. I do dream about the day when we're all hanging out on a platform somewhere.

How was your daughter with equalizing? I have a 10 year old that would really like to get certified (actually, I have a 13 and a 15 too, but I'm not worried about them). He says he has an issue with his ears, he can't understand how to do it. I think that would be his hardest obstacle. Other than that he's a fish.

What depth do you plan to take your daughter to? Someone told me that taking a younger person to depth could do something to the density of their bones and cause issues later in life. I would like to get my little one certified but I think we would probably just go to 20' so. I do dream about the day when we're all hanging out on a platform somewhere.
She had no issues with equalizing, I taught her that in the pool before diving came up so she knew how to do it already. Some children do have issues with it as their Eustachian tubes are smaller and it may be harder or impossible as they may collapse shut before they are able to equaliz, in which case they just have to wait until they develop further.
Junior OW divers are certified to the same standards as OW divers, all the skills are exactly the same but the max depth recommendation is 40 feet. during her last check dive we went down to 40, well 39, for a couple mins so that she could see what it was like at that depth. I plan on keeping things 30 feet or less with her until she is older and has built up some experience.
I have never read anything about bone density issues in children and diving. maybe someone like @Duke Dive Medicine or @doctormike can weigh in on that.

Congrats to you both! She seems far more comfortable in the gear and doing drills than I was in my OW.
I love the 360 swivels and that she's starting off on a necklace. 90 degree swivels are more common to see but for me they kept pulling my reg to one side of my mouth and were a lot less comfortable. The 40" hose might be a bit long for her right now, but Deep 6 does sell individual hoses of different lengths, or maybe you can try having a cutting tool or something on her waistband to help stow the excess and keep it under her arm. I'm short and my hose does escape me more than I'd like so I feel her pain.

maybe you can try having a cutting tool or something on her waistband to help stow the excess and keep it under her arm
I actually had to remove her cutting tool form her waist and put it on her shoulder as she is so thin that with the XS travelpac I have to cinch the waist belt all the way down to get any semblance of snugness around her waist. Once she plumps up some I can help her reconfigure things.:wink:

Please organise a far shorter over the shoulder like normal people primary hose, and if later a swivel is required

Sonar LP 360° Omni Swivel Adapter for Regulator - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop

So also when you grab a hose you know the orientation of the reg
With a junk swivel you have no idea where the reg has flopped to.

Enjoy

VERY AWESOME. Have lots of fun. Very glad on the primary donate and all. She sounds like a gem.

Please organise a far shorter over the shoulder like normal people primary hose, and if later a swivel is required

Sonar LP 360° Omni Swivel Adapter for Regulator - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop

So also when you grab a hose you know the orientation of the reg
With a junk swivel you have no idea where the reg has flopped to.

Enjoy

Interesting. I've been thinking about this for a while and I think there's a lot of good points in the video. Personally I plan to always have my wife and I with the little one while he's diving. I don't think he's as mature as @aviator8 daughter. I like the idea of them not being task loaded. 1 regulator, very minimal stuff just to get used to, and then add as he gets older.

@aviator8, not trying to hijack your thread. I think it's amazing what you and your daughter have accomplished. She looks like she's very comfortable. I hope my son gets there one day. He's interested, just trying to be as safe as possible going down this road. I think he can learn the basics, my fear would be if he forgot them in the event of some sort of panic..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom