PSI VCI course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking the VCI (visual cylinder inspection) course, but am wondering. How difficult is the class? I know it is a 1 day class, and I have heard that the tools to do inspections get expensive, but I am trying to get a small concession set up at a local lake and would like to add that to the offered services.

it's not a particularly difficult class and the tools to do it aren't that expensive if you DIY them. You can DIY a tumbler, whip etc saving hundreds of dollars, Northeast Scuba sells a light that is pretty good, and the rest can be bought at most machining supply places.

I took Tdi Visual class last year and was 2 full days of classromm-15 yrs total, with plenty of hands on training.- Equipment needed can add up- lights, picks tread magnifiers. You are not going to mak too much money offering inspections- $15. most you can charge & per tank will take roughly-15-30 mins to inspect. And you will have to consider iability insurance.

I also did the SDI TDI certification and it is a good course and for my personal tanks it will save me plenty but if you add in the cost of insurance consumables equipment to handle tumbling tanks by machine rather than kicking them across the floor and the like you may find it to not be a moneymaker especially if you are only able to charge 15 per vis. Around here I was quoted $150 for vis and o2 clean a set of doubles now I am certified to do it myself. After doing the work myself I can see why they wanted so much but I also know it was done right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of PSIs instructors here in AR. Please feel free to email me at tanktest@gmail.com or phone me at 808-343-6594 (after Sunday please since I will be out of the loop on vacation with my wife this weekend). I will happily answer any questions you have or discuss any concerns. I am always happy to talk to people interested in cylinder safety.
Myles

Back
Top Bottom