PT-015 discontinued?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM:
Rumour has it on DDNet that the 015 is discontinued

Makes sense to me.

It'll be around for another year or more on eBay and the outlets, etc.

K

I've heard that the official word from Olympus is that it hasn't been discontinued, just officially backordered. Whatever.....

I'm glad we have two....

Dee:
I've heard that the official word from Olympus is that it hasn't been discontinued, just officially backordered. Whatever.....

I'm glad we have two....

Yeah, I've been searching (for someone else) and can't find them either, even on E-bay which is unusual...

Dee brings up a good point which I've run into...
All that equipment for a particular camera becomes a "Door Stop" if you can't get the camera fixed.. so consider buying a back up. The senario goes like this over time:
- Camera floods
- Mfg Fixes ok
- Camera floods again
- Mfg can't fix, but has a refurbished one on back order maybe??
- Camera floods again (I know, I know - shouldn't be flooded again... but??)
- can't find camera at all, not E-bay, not refurbished...
- Camera/housing becomes Door Stop - Housing and anything unique to it. Add on lens? Synch Cords? (strobes still transferable with arms and tray?? )

Just a thought...

That's one of the advantages of the PT-XXX housings, the price wasn't so high that it would break the bank to replace it with another brand available. While I much prefer the PT-XX, if it comes down to totally not available at all and I need another housing, Ikelite would be my next choice. I'd be more upset if/when my camera can't be replaced. I haven't been too impressed with Oly's offerings after the 5050.

Well, just because it is in stock somewhere does not mean it's still in production.

After finding similar water droplets on my second 015 in the same place as my prior 015, I'm kind of happy to be moving away from the PT line.

Yes, they are cheap and easily replaceable, but if I were to buy another one, that would be approximately $600 spent on housing = Ikelite.... IOW, there will be diminishing returns if you have to buy one every year or so (this was purchased last Oct)

Don't get me wrong, I am an Oly supporter, just feel they are moving in a less reliable direction

My .02, YMV etc.

Chris

I'm ready to agree with Chris, I think their quality control is slipping. My first Oly housing was a PT-10 that was used regularly for over two years without a single weeping problem at all. And although the PT-15's are heavier made, the quality doesn't seem to be the same. That said, I'm still satisfied with the PT-15 but if I have anymore problems, I'll switch to Ike and get used to the larger size.

Chris:
After finding similar water droplets on my second 015 in the same place as my prior 015, I'm kind of happy to be moving away from the PT line.
I cut some of those absorbent pads and put them in the housing to pick up those drops. It's my observation that ít's only about a teaspoon of water that "Frys" the camera...

Dee:
I haven't been too impressed with Oly's offerings after the 5050.
Yeah, it's the whole package,
if housing goes, have to find another to fit the camera
if Camera goes, have to find another to fit the housing.

heheh.. I dunno, sometimes I think I should just take up painting... in water colors?? (joking)

I'm not impressed with the line above the 5050 either.. I think the camera is strong enough to remain at that level until one is ready to upgrade to the DSLR systems... N-70 or D-100 (I'm still thinking this is being phased out too)

It never ends...

fpoole:
heheh.. I dunno, sometimes I think I should just take up painting... in water colors?? (joking)
:rofl: I've had that thought more than once!

Back
Top Bottom