PT-015 discontinued?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops....thanks for the correction! Dang, just what I need...an incentive to repeat my buying spree!

ChrisM:
...After finding similar water droplets on my second 015 in the same place as my prior 015, I'm kind of happy to be moving away from the PT line.

Don't get me wrong, I am an Oly supporter, just feel they are moving in a less reliable direction

My .02, YMV etc.

Chris

My take is Oly hasn't moved - the Digital Photography community has. These things were (essentially) designed for beach goers in Japan - more a rugged splash guard than a cheap 130' housing - and we've begun to really push these things.

I don't think Oly has made the decision to move in a less reliable direction (the lame new flash housing and ill-conceived WAL cover not withstanding) I believe we, as the first real generation/community of diving digital photographers are pushing these things (the first real widly available housings) way past where Oly originally conceived.

Ken
SB Oly Apologist in Residence

Fair enough. It's likely Oly never thought that people would be taking "serious" uw pics with these things.

Chris

Ok, I've been trying to catch up on all the pt-15 and 5050 posts. I'm a newby to underwater photography, but have had my 5050 for some 2 yrs (wow, has it been that long :confused: ).

Anyways, I'm off to Bermuda for a couple dives next week and all this talk about leaking has me concerned. I bought the pt-15 last month and have been playing around with it underwater, but nothing outside of a pool. No leaks...so far!

My dives should not exceed 60 ft. Any words of wisdom from the experts here. Have those of you with the leaking problems been pushing 100 ft, or are we talking problems at any depth?

Chiton

chiton:
Ok, I've been trying to catch up on all the pt-15 and 5050 posts. I'm a newby to underwater photography, but have had my 5050 for some 2 yrs (wow, has it been that long :confused: ).

Anyways, I'm off to Bermuda for a couple dives next week and all this talk about leaking has me concerned. I bought the pt-15 last month and have been playing around with it underwater, but nothing outside of a pool. No leaks...so far!

My dives should not exceed 60 ft. Any words of wisdom from the experts here. Have those of you with the leaking problems been pushing 100 ft, or are we talking problems at any depth?

Chiton

One word - Insurance

Don't worry about it. You will probably never get a leak. there are a TON more 015s that have never had a problem than those that do. And it's not depth related.

Just make sure you take care of the housing, and develop careful habits in loading the camera, you'll be OK. That's the absolute best you can do.

There's a saying, it's not if your housing leaks, but when. That's an overstatement but you get the idea.

Chris

Insurance.. heheh..
Yeah, it's the one and only way to insure (no pun intended) you don't leak...

Buy insurance and it'll never happen...
drop the insurance and it'll happen the next dive....

(Just joking of course...)

fpoole:
Insurance.. heheh..
Yeah, it's the one and only way to insure (no pun intended) you don't leak...

Buy insurance and it'll never happen...
drop the insurance and it'll happen the next dive....

(Just joking of course...)

A year or so ago, I realized that I had been diving without camera insurance for about the previous 6 months...thank god I didn't know it at the time!!! (and that nothing happened)

ChrisM:
Fair enough. It's likely Oly never thought that people would be taking "serious" uw pics with these things.

Chris

I'm not sure they didn't. Their stand at Dema last year was really good, and they were definitely aiming their product to the diving community.

I agree that Olympus now aims it's housings at serious divers. I only have to look at the amount of money that they spend on advertising in Japanese dive magazines - plus the fact that they now rate their housings to 40 meters.

KimLeece:
I agree that Olympus now aims it's housings at serious divers. I only have to look at the amount of money that they spend on advertising in Japanese dive magazines - plus the fact that they now rate their housings to 40 meters.

Actually, what I said was they didn't think people would be taking "serious pics", i.e., posting on personal websites, selling, etc. Most "serious" photographer housings.. Ikelite, Aquatica, Subal, Nexus, Sea & Sea, are rated to well below 130 feet (and that's kind of a coincidence, being recreational limits and all).....

Not serious divers.

Chris (a serious 015 user and diver :) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom