PT-016 - Crack in housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone noticed hairline cracks in their PT-016 Housings? I went snorkling with work in Saturday and when I was setting up my camera I found 3 cracks, going out from 3 of the 4 screws that hold the hooks of the latch mech. in place. One of them is pretty big and it almost reaches the surface. By the time I got home it was too late to call my LPS where I bought the housing and Sundays they're closed. The housing has about 40 dives and will be a year old in July.

Aloha,
Lisa

I know the picture is lousy....but maybe you can see it

I can't really see the cracks. I doubt it but just to rule it out....have you taken it below the max depth?

There was some reports on cracks on another PT-XOX housing but he's consistantly taken it deeper than suggested. I know those depth limits aren't iron clad but they are there for a reason.

Other than that, has there been any stress on those door latches?

I'll try this again....already answered and it's gone!
The housing has never been deeper than 120', so within the suggested limits. You know, the hooks do have to take a lot of pressure from the latches, I'm sure it is factor.
Just called my LPS, he will talk to olympus for me. I'll keep you posted.
aloha,
Lisa

Good luck! I just found out through Olympus, that my camera problem is a warranty problem. They started work on it on 4/22 and it could take them 10-15 days to finished the work! Wonder when I'll get it back? Guess it's back to the C-4040 'til then!

Dee:
Good luck! I just found out through Olympus, that my camera problem is a warranty problem. They started work on it on 4/22 and it could take them 10-15 days to finished the work! Wonder when I'll get it back? Guess it's back to the C-4040 'til then!
Dee - is this the problem with the small O-ring? Also I was wondering how you managed to change the ring yourself - is there an instruction guide for the small O-rings somewhere. There's nothing about it in the manual.

KimLeece:
Dee - is this the problem with the small O-ring? Also I was wondering how you managed to change the ring yourself - is there an instruction guide for the small O-rings somewhere. There's nothing about it in the manual.

No, the custom and timer buttons didn't work. I don't know if that was a result of the seapage I had or not.

I had read this article by Dave Greenway and a couple others so I had a good idea how to do it. The tricky part is removing that little half-moon clip thing. Don't try it yourself unless you have the exact size o-rings you need. I just happened to get a set from a fellow who had researched and collected what was needed, not from any 'official' source.

Olympus won't even acknowledge that there can be a problem so don't expect to see any reference to changing housing o-rings from them.

Thanks Dee! That link seems to cover it fairly well. I'll check it out with Yuzo - he might be able to help.
The only problem that I can see is that if you do it yourself you void the warranty and lose your insurance cover! On the other hand - it might be safer! It's a tough call. It seems to be the only ring that has a problem though (in theory - mine doesn't yet)

Dee:
Olympus won't even acknowledge that there can be a problem so don't expect to see any reference to changing housing o-rings from them.
There was a very interesting post on the diveoz.com.au website about leaking Oly housing. He managed to get Olympus to replace both the camera and the housing (C5060 and PT-020). I quote:
Told them I only had the camera a few weeks went off on this trip and flooded it. I had actually already done a few dives on the trip before the flood but didnt mention this. I couriered it over to Mt Waverley. Got the initial receipt with the word warranty under repair written on it so crossed fingers. Then got the phone call yesterday. They said the gen manager made the decision. Even the girl I dealt with said i was lucky and that they normally only replace the housing not the camera. Something on it about the o ring for the flash connection perhaps being faulty.

I have been having problems with my Oly housing too. I bought it in January, thinking that would give me plenty of time to do all the checks and try it out in the local quarry, get a bit of practice in before the summer diving started. First housing leaked at 10metres, luckily didn't have the camera in it at the time. Brought it back to the shop who sent it back to Olympus. Turns out it had a moulding problem and Oly replaced it no questions asked. Took the second housing in and the same problem occured, this time I noticed that there was a gap in the seal at all for corners of the housing, spoke to Oly direct this time who said to get the shop to send it back, brought it in spent almost an hour in the shop being told by sales people they had never had a problem with the Pt-16 housings. Still waiting to hear back about it this time and getting very annoyed - missed out on taking some fabulous pics on the Scylla and the James Egan Layne this weekend with viz of up to 20 metres (doesn't happen very often in Britain)
Apart from the length of time it is taking I have to say that Olympus and the shop I bought the camera in are being absolutely great and really helpful. Although that doesn't help with the frustration factor of having spent all this money and not used the thing yet!

ReyeR...that is unusual. Maybe it will set a precedent for future problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom