PT-016 - Crack in housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah...my SO said look on ebay, but I know that I couldn't even come close to the 91 including shipping. This hobby is getting very expensive! lol

justleesa:
This hobby is getting very expensive! lol

Tell me about it! Update with mine is that I have been given a new housing and third time lucky it looks like it might be okay. Still no drysuit so a friend dropped in with it and only two drops of water in the housing after a dive where he jumped in with it in his hand which you are not supposed to do!

So Leesa can they tell you what the fault was? Maybe it would be covered under insurance. My insurance policy covers things like accidental damage like someone putting their kit down on top of it or me banging it against something and damaging it!

Nope, just said it wasn't...in any way....their fault.
never thought about the insurance....have to look into that.
Thanks! and glad to hear of your success but sorry about the suit....

It sounds like they think you bashed it or something! I suppose though that if they really don't consider it to be their fault $91 is fairly cheap for a new case! I expect that some manufacturers wouldn't even offer that much - I'd probably be fairly happy myself with such a result. You are right though - this is an EXPENSIVE hobby!!!

took me a while to decide if I wanted the housing or not....Turtleguy now has a casio EXILIM and we're thinking of getting a housing for that one as the screen is much larger and easier to view.....anyway, I paid the $91 and the housing came back today. Better said a brand new housing came today. I viewed all screws, they look good. I guess we have to test it now, cross your fingers for me!

After reading this thread, I am having doubts about entering into the Oly housings. Having nearly 20 years experience in designing and building plastic injection molds, and a fair amount of experience with polycarbonate and acrylic, it sounds as if the cracks were due to stress.
That can come from several reasons:
1) Poor design of the attachment area
2) Over stressing the attachment area
a) The hinge was attached slightly off from where it was designed to be attached, thus increasing the stress when latching.
b) Improper treatment, banging, hitting, etc.
3) Improper molding procedure, i.e., temperatures of the plastic melt in the nozzle could have been too high, injection pressure could have been too high, cooling time could have been too quick, etc.
4) Wrong thermoplastic blend, or faulty batch of resin.

There could be some other issues, however, I doubt that Oly would investigate items 3 & 4.

My point is that with the somewhat numerous threads regarding leaking problems with Oly housings, would it be wiser for me to spend the money for an Ikelite, Bruder or other housing for my Coolpix 5700, rather than buying an Oly 5050, 5060, Oly housing and having all these hassles?

jbichsel:
My point is that with the somewhat numerous threads regarding leaking problems with Oly housings, would it be wiser for me to spend the money for an Ikelite, Bruder or other housing for my Coolpix 5700, rather than buying an Oly 5050, 5060, Oly housing and having all these hassles?

The Ikelite housing for your Nikon is just under $1000. SRP. An Oly 5050 or 5060 with Oly housing will cost you $500. plus, depending on which one you get.

I bought my first Oly PT-010 in March 02. I bought a second one in October 03 so as to have a backup and/or spare parts as they would eventually go off the market, as all these products do, and they did. I use the housings about four times a week and have had no cracking or leaking problems. The only problem I did have with the older one is the zoom spring broke. You cannot get that part. I did get a used one from Backscatter.com.

These prosumer housings are under $200. for the most part and are meant to be disposable, like so many products today. They are popular for that reason. I have two Oly C4000Z cameras. The refurbs are under $200., which is all I use. A flood will not set me back all that much. And I did have one user error flood in Feb. 04.

If you buy an Ikelite, or other brand high end housing, for your Coolpix 5700, you likely should buy another camera while they are available or you will have a $1000. housing sitting around if your camera dies beyond repair and they are no longer available. Selling it on eBay is always an option. But then you start the process all over again.

It's quite the dilema. I upgraded from a C2040Z camera to the C4000Z for the higher megapixel, which is needed for cropping photos. Both cameras fit in the same housing. I drew my line in the sand at that point. I'll stay with my C4000Z's and remain an "amateur underwater photographer". I can't afford to ride the "upgrade train".

Keep in mind that most of the photo is the person behind the camera, not the camera.

Gilligan,
Thanks for the reply.
I hate the idea of a $200 housing being a 'disposable' item.

Ikelite housings for the 5700 can be found for $780 which helps, but still rather spendy. But is that offset by avoiding (not eliminating) potential problems with Oly's 'disposable' housings?

If I spend more on a housing that is sturdier, more reliable, is that such a bad trade-off? Peace of mind can be worth a few extra bucks, in my opinion.

The Ikelite housing is a quality housing, no question on that point. And, more importantly you can get parts for it. If you like your current camera and will be content with it for some time to come then invest in the Ike housing.
I think I would also get a second camera before they are no longer available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom