PT-016 For Olympus Stylus even worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Detonate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I can get that housing for around $150 bucks to use with my wife's Stylus 300 Digital Camera.

In my opinion the Stylus 300 hasn't been all that impressive above water, and has extrememly limited set scene modes for shooting. However the camera has been great for the purpose in which it was bought for. Which is a very small, easily transportable digiatl camera, for those shots you normally miss because you aren't lugging around your bigger bulkier camera.

So I guess my question is this, has anyone seen any photo's taken with the stylus underwater?

Is it even worth $150 to have a small digital camera to clip on to my every day dive gear for those "just in case shots"?

-Jim March
Arlington, Texas

I haven't seen any pics or heard of anyone using any of the Stlus cameras underwater. From your description, it doesn't sound like you have very much control over the settings.

Detonate once bubbled...
...Is it even worth $150 to have a small digital camera to clip on to my every day dive gear for those "just in case shots"?

I guess that would depend on what kind of U/W pictures you expect to get. If all you expect to get are snap shots, you would probably be satisfied with the results. With just a camera, no external strobe, no control over some settings, snao shots are about all you can expect.

If you're expecting results like we see from alot of the photos posted here, I'm afraid you would be disappointed. In that case I would keep the Stylus for topside shots and go with one of the more proven camera set-ups for U/W.

I agree, however, given that even the disposable UW cameras are about $15-$20 and the deepest one i've seen is 45 ft, AND i've actually seen some ince shots with the disposable ones, $150 might just be the ticket for the "just in case" or the "what's that, I'll take a pic and look it up when I get home" shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom