Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEP BLUE CCR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The following is a public service safety warning

cid:clip_image002.png

To all individuals who purchase carbon fiber tanks from Add Helium. Please be advised that if you purchase aluminum or steel wrapped carbon fiber tanks from Add Helium these tanks do not comply with US standards for DOT, OSHA, PHMSA regulation. The EN and CE rating for some of these tanks are not for scuba use or underwater use. Filling these tanks in the United States is considered illegal and could be dangerous. The use of these tanks has been involved with one diving fatality and can cause bodily harm. For further information see attachments.

To view legal transcripts regarding testimony given by Peter Sotis regarding tanks please see attachments.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.58.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.58.54 AM.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 352
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.59.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.59.08 AM.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.59.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.59.17 AM.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 282
  • underwater marking.pdf
    113.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 272
  • 13886412_1039527452749123_7346585734974166474_n.jpg
    13886412_1039527452749123_7346585734974166474_n.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 295
  • EN 12245-2002 CE spec used by china producer pdf.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 283
  • Acecare proforma invoice.pdf
    154.2 KB · Views: 586
  • peter sotis china tanks.pdf
    277.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Regulatory Agency’s.pdf
    181.3 KB · Views: 175
Sotis and Add Helium never (to my knowledge) ever sold these as DOT cylinders, or as legal for filling in the United States. Those who bought them typically filled them either at home or at Add Helium. I saw a few of them on my boat deck and would make the decision to fill them in commerce or not, knowing full well that I would be in violation of DOT regulations or not. But no one ever trried to mislead me that they were legal to fill in the United States. They were not claimed to be any more than what they were.

Once again this is simply a public service announcement for safety reasons with accompanying verifying information. If you review all documentation you will see there are many additional issues regarding these tanks. Specific to import export laws, assembly of parts (Add Helium Manufacturing) to create an illegal product sold as and for a purpose it was not designed for. Hypothetical Example: to order paint ball tanks with specific thread patterns so it can be mated with a standardized US valve stem and, then sold to individuals as scuba equipment. Do you feel that such practices are legal, ethical or moral? Is this the type of business practices the dive industry wants to condone?

Last edited:
Sotis and Add Helium never (to my knowledge) ever sold these as DOT cylinders, or as legal for filling in the United States. Those who bought them typically filled them either at home or at Add Helium. I saw a few of them on my boat deck and would make the decision to fill them in commerce or not, knowing full well that I would be in violation of DOT regulations or not. But no one ever trried to mislead me that they were legal to fill in the United States. They were not claimed to be any more than what they were.

So then what exactly 'were they' then if not scuba tanks?

By what authority are you making Public Service Announcements and do you also plan radio and tv PSA's?

And why in an A&I thread?

First Admendment which is the bases for such forms, social media, BBS to allow open constructive conversation, reflection and education.

An A&I thread was used because of the inherit nature of the information being provided contained within the accompanying documentation. Safety Oriented.

Once again it is a simple Public Service announcement by title. On an open form which most social media is considered. The information provided is publicly available and factual. The purpose of this information is to be interpreted and used in accordance with each individuals educated perception for their personal safety.

So then what exactly 'were they' then if not scuba tanks?
This is a good question? If they do not comply with minimal State and federal Osha, DOT ect Standards and accompanying laws, what are they is a very good question, are they safe may be a better question.

Last edited:
First Admendment which is the bases for such forms, social media, BBS to allow open constructive conversation, reflection and education.

An A&I thread was used because of the inherit nature of the information being provided contained within the accompanying documentation. Safety Oriented.

Once again it is a simple Public Service announcement by title. On an open form which most social media is considered. The information provided is publicly available and factual. The purpose of this information is to be interpreted and used in accordance with each individuals educated perception for their personal safety.
The first amendment protects you from the government. Nothing protects you from Pete. Except Pete agrees with you. As do I, but I never knew anyone who bought an AH cylinder thinking it was legal for use with Scuba in the United States.

Personally it never ceases to amaze me that CCR divers (supposedly the most experienced of technical divers) would even consider carbon wrapped cylinders safe, given they are un-inspectable by the dive industry.

The fact that people are willing to fill them means they are ignorant of the risks or wiling to play Russian roulette

Back
Top Bottom