Puerto Galera- Honest opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MV Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Greetings fellow divers

I would like to hear some honest opinions on the diving around Puerto Galera. Especially if you have visited the area within the last 12 months. I'm interested to hear what cool things that you saw underwater and generally how you found the PG area above and below the water.

Warm regards from Kris

Was there in May 2016. Loved it. By far the best place I've dived in the Philippines so far (only been to Bohol/Balicasag and Malapascua). Loved the mix of beautiful coral dives and macro dives. Loved how convenient each dive was - 5-10 minutes boat ride to almost all the dive spots. Loved the huge variety. Didn't even get to Verde Island and still loved PG. Definitely will return.

Underwater was a nudie fest everywhere. Never seen so many nudibranches species in one place before or since. Besides nudibranches, other highlights were lightning clams, flamboyant cuttle fishes, mimic octopus, sea horses, ghost pipefish, frogfish (average one every dive) and probably many more that my inexperienced eyes failed to recognise.

Water was colder than most other places I've dived in South East Asia, especially the thermoclines and currents that show up now and then. However, this lower temperature keeps those corals in great shape. The drift dive areas had the healthiest corals I've seen in the Philippines so far.

Above water, PG had decent nightlife and food. A mix of different restaurants from low to middle end. Quite a few bars, a couple of discotheques, etc. Enough to keep one occupied for a week or two.

If I had to complain about PG, the main thing would be that lodgings are a bit pricier than the other places I've dived at. Not enough to break the bank or anything, just can't bring budget conscious friends there.

Dived with Atlantis and Asia Divers.

Hope this post gives you some of the feedback you were looking for. Have not had a chance yet to stay with at Marco Vincent but may consider it on future splurge trips :)

1. Jan - Mar had been relatively cold over last couple of years ie. 20C. But then the viz is at its best.
2. There are dive operators and resorts which are quite economical eg. Blue Ribbon, Frontier, South Seas, just to name a few.
3. The only reason that I like to stay around Sabang is the close proximity to the dive sites. I really do not see the point of staying somewhere else. Extra 20-30 mins on a rough sea is the last thing I want.
4. I am not really fussy with food but do like varieties and Sabang can provide that.

Last edited:
Did Atlantis PG with the Invasion crew in June. Absolutely loved it all - diving, resort accommodations, and food. Had no reason to venture away from the resort so didn't. Certainly a nudi-fest underwater and as a Florida diver, was thrilled to see those along with all the frogs and seahorses. The pygmy seahorse and blue ring octo were probably my highlights but would have to say you'd be hard pressed to have a boring dive there. Big green turtles, banded pipefish, lots of various butterflys, crinoid & splendid mantis shrimp, flamboyant cuttlefish (along with their jumbo sized cousins) and just lots of life and healthy reefs. Only thing I didn't get to see was a mimic (though other groups did) but did see a few coconut octos. Did Verde Island and again was blown away by the diversity. Certainly a must do. Cost for 2 weeks in PG was less than the 1 week we spent in Palau. We did stay at the best place in Palau but it wasn't that much better than what we got at Atlantis

I haven't been to PG for a few years now as I prefer the peace and tranquillity of Anilao.

Having used both Atlantis and Asia Divers my preference would always be Asia Divers for the accommodation at El Galleon while not as fancy it was half the price of Atlantis who were only taking bookings with full board.

During my last trip to Asia Divers I did wander down to the 50 Bar for a drink with one of my buddies in order to have a quiet chat rather than put up with the noise at the Point Bar (it was Halloween), and I was very surprised that we were the only customers. the barman told me they only had 3 people staying at the resort while Asia Divers was fully booked.

Critter wise it doesn't matter where you stay, the dive sites are all the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom