Puerto Morelos diving experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtnmn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering a trip to Puerto Morelos, Mexico and am looking for input on how the diving is there. I have read a few sparse reviews and it sounds like it is just ok and doesn't really compare to the diving in Cozumel. Is there anyone who has been there and dove the local reefs? Especially, anyone who has been there recently.

Also, if you have stayed there, what hotel did you stay in, and what was your experience there?

TIA

I stayed there 2 years ago, which is not recently in my book. I've posted most of this info before, so I'll keep it brief.

Hotel: Ojo de Agua - Liked it very much. Clean, small & inexpensive. W/ a restaurant, bar, pool & dive shop. No phone in room. Unlimited purified water & TV included.
Dive Sites: - Not as good as Coz. But enjoyable. Close to the cenotes.
Location: - Great! Very quite & laid back. Out of the hotel zone of Cancun, not too far to go to either Playa & then ferry across to Coz or to go to Cancun to party. Not a long ride from the airport.
I will definitely go back again.

I was just in the neck of the woods last August. I stayed in PdC, but dove the reefs from Puerto Morelos down to Tulum. They may not as great as Cozumel, but they are great non the less. 100' vis, 82deg water and some very large inhabitants (tarpon, turtles, eels, crabs lob, etc), along with some very healthy reefs.

This is my new hangout as it is not as crowded as Coz, but close enough to go diving there if desired. You are also close to the Cenotes, which are mindblowing dives. Like floating in Gin (just don't drink it).

Dry times have some very nice sights up and down the coast highway with PdC, Puerto Morelos and Xcaret. If you like a quiet place to stay with great atmosphere and resturants, with close proximity to other great stuff, this is your place (IMHO).

Either way, no mater what you decide, have loads of fun.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

I dove in Puerto Morelos the last week of January. I posted a Trip Report a couple of weeks ago which is now on page 2 of the Mexico Forum. I am now really hooked on Puerto Morelos.

The diving isn't the same as Cozumel and I still love diving in Cozumel. The reefs in Cozumel seem to have larger older and beautiful coral formations and abundant sealife. There are a lot more boats and divers in Cozumel.

However, Puerto Morelos still seems to be a virgin reef, with very healthy plant life. Tons of sea fans, sea rods, ect. Smaller reef formations, but very beautiful and abundant fish and wildlife. It is also very close to cenotes, which are awesome and there is a good wreck dive also. Saw many people wind surfing also.

Puerto Morelos still seems have the culture of a small fishing village. It's not as touristy as Cozumel, has no cruise ships, but a very refreshing cultural experience. Very few dive boats and divers in the water. Not too far from PDC or Cancun if you wanted to go. I dove with an excellent operation www.divepuertomorelos.com. The time to go is now, I'm afraid that it will soon become another Playa del Carmen (which I also like), but Puerto Morelos is more laid back, smaller, friendly and fun. They're starting to build more large resorts in the area and its going to boom.

I stayed at the Paradisus Riviera an all inclusive about 5 min away from Puerto Morelos. Next time I want to stay in town at a smaller place to experience more of the local culture.

There are lots of choices here depending on what price you range is best for you. On the beach and close to the village is Ojo de Agua (small hotel) , Casita Del Mar(small hotel a bit friendlier) , Casita Blanca (1 and 2 br condos) and Ceiba Del Mar(5 star hotel) . Back from the beach are bed and breakfast places Casa Caribe and Casa Mermaid.
We package dives up usually with Casita Blanca and Casita del Mar.
There are also other resorts further out of town like Paradisus and El Dorado that are great 5 star resorts.
We are opening our new shop this week and will be offering day trips for diving in Cozumel and cenotes further south (Taj Mahal, Dos Ojos) as well as private tours to Hidden Worlds with other companies so that you don't miss out on all the dive opportunities in the region and still get to stay in the lovely PM......cat

[We stayed at Ojo de Agua, which was nice, right on the beach, though somewhat primitive in that the water pump broke a few times and the water is only lukewarm. But it was fine.

We took a dive with Mystic Divers. They were a nice operation, but the diving, quite frankly, sucked. It was pretty murky and there wasn't much animal life. Boring! Just as bad as some dives I did in Puerto Rico a few years ago. Much better diving in Playa del Carmen. There is no comparison.

The town itself is slow-paced and much smaller and less touristy than Playa. It was a good experience staying there for a few nights.

There has been a lot of wind this year and maybe it was not a good day to dive but then some operators go anyway or maybe it was the only day you had? The marine life here is extensive so I am sorry you missed it. Of course when the weather is bad it lowers the options for diving considerably that is true, maybe they took you to the only place they could on that day? Today i am cancelling all bookings and going taking clients to the cenotes instead - the wind is up, vis down and the kiteboarders are happy

I think you are right ... there had been a lot of wind the previous week. In fact, we heard that there was no diving in Cozumel that week. The viz in Playa del Carmen the next day was great, though, and our divemaster did say that diving in PM wasn't exactly the greatest. But we definitely did not have the best to day to dive, and maybe they took us to a mediocre site (it was called Octupus Garden).

catbrown:
There has been a lot of wind this year and maybe it was not a good day to dive but then some operators go anyway or maybe it was the only day you had? The marine life here is extensive so I am sorry you missed it. Of course when the weather is bad it lowers the options for diving considerably that is true, maybe they took you to the only place they could on that day? Today i am cancelling all bookings and going taking clients to the cenotes instead - the wind is up, vis down and the kiteboarders are happy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom