Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomorrow I am back to diving the colder waters of Bahia de Banderas after some project and fun dives in the underground rivers of Q. Roo and the GUE anual conference.

Yesterday at Lindomar in Conchas Chinas, I observed a male humpback (from the beach while having lunch) that made many repeated breaches and nostop pectoral fin slapping !! This and the beautiful mountains of course you don't get to see in the caves of Q. Roo !!

Will try my best to post ASAP on conditions and obsrevations, hopefully with some images too.

Hi everyone,

I'm a new diver (about 12 dives under my belt) heading to PV in about a month and wanted to see if anyone can provide me with guidance as to how thick of wetsuit I should plan on bringing? (I'm a tall guy so I have to bring my own suit as the rental suits don't fit me.) From looking at past posts it looks like 5mm is the minimum thickness that people find comfortable for January diving, although I think I've seen people suggest 7mm and dry suits as well. Any suggestions, input, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

Went out yesterday from Nuevo Vallarta with captian Emilio , Adollfo, Lucy and Natalia on one of the boats from Vallarta Undersea (La Marla)

At the wall:

The visibility was between 25 and 35 feet. Water temperature of 70 F down to 50 feet, 64 F from 50 feet to 110 feet.

Hawksbill turtle at the 70 foot rock, lots of tenofore and jellies along the wall. Abundant fish life including one Popeye Catalufa at 90 feet. At least 5 different species of nudibranchs especialy in the shallows just under the moorings, also several flatworms.

La lajas, east of Bajo del Cristo:

Similar visibility without the tenofores and jellies. Min temp of 66 F at 75 feet. We spotted many large turtles in the area.

Here is the humpback from Friday seen while having lunch on the beach at Lindomar.

Happy diving !

Attachments

• lindo mar humpback.jpg
    lindo mar humpback.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 91
  • going diving 2.jpg
    going diving 2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 76
  • going diving from the canal.jpg
    going diving from the canal.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I would suggest a 7mm suit.....better to be a bit too warm rather than too cold. I dove Los Arcos on November 9th and 12th and the water temperature this year is way down from last year. I used my 7mm and was very comfortable...maybe a little too warm but by January...I think it will be just right for sure...Happy diving....oh...and I highly recommend that you dive with PV Scuba...get a hold of Alex before you go to book your dives. I have dove with them 4 times now and have been more than happy with thier service and attention to detail.

Latest report I got is that the water under the thermocline in the south bay is cold and with good viz (64 F or so). Lots of my favourite Popeye Catalufas at 90 to 100 feet in Los Arcos.

I am off to dive in SoCal and Monterey in the coming days if the weather cooperates and later to the Revillagigedos (Aka Socorro).

Here is our winter Newsletter from our NGO in Quintana Roo , hope you like it.

http://cindaq.org/CINDAQ English/cindaqnewsletter_final.pdf

Merry Xmas to everyone following this thread !!

Here is a fabulous Seasons Greetings card with a hooded nudibranch as an angel , by the talented Jan Kocian, Enjoy !!

Attachments

• Christmas 2007 -D S.jpg
    Christmas 2007 -D S.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 191
My daughter and I are new divers (certified in November this year) just returned from a short holiday in Mexico. While there, we dived Majahuitas and Caletas with Natalia from PVSCUBA. We prearranged this dive via email and chose PVSCUBA after reading a bunch of comments on this board and Tripadvisor. We had a great dive on Dec 27. Water was 19 to 20 degrees C with 20 to 25 ft visibility (coming from British Columbia where our open water dives were 10 degrees C...this was great!). There were two other more advanced divers with us and Natalia took great care of us pointing out many things. We saw stonefish, stingrays, big fat moray eels and a whole bunch of others I can't recall it all. Being a new diver(these were our first dives after certifying)...so much to learn and see....a fantastic experience. Caletas had a bit of a current and although aquatic life not as prolific as Majahuitas was a really good dive for working on buoyancy and in current (actually this was where I saw the stonefish and eels). All in all a fantastic experience. I would go back to PVSCUBA in a heartbeat! Great people, great dive....fantastic introduction to this sport! Thanks Natalia!

We dove Los Arcos in our first day for a couple of dives and we dove El Morro in our second day of diving for a couple of dives... We were impressed from the start with the professionalism offered by PV Scuba. They went the extra mile to make the best of our diving trip. The suits and equipment that they gave us were just perfect for the local conditions and our Master Trainer Anibal was very knowledgable of the area and found the best spots and marine life for us. If you are planning to dive in Puerto Vallarta... I fully recommend the services of PV Scuba! Thank you Alex and all the PV Scuba crew!

Is there any diving in Yelapa? I'm looking to take my wife for some relaxation in Yelapa and was hoping to get a few dives in? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi tbrads,

There are no dive shops in Yelapa that I know of. You´ll need to come either to PV or to Boca de Tomatlán (about a 20-min boat ride from Yelapa), where there´s a dive shop.

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom