Puget Sound - second fatality in a week ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The fact that he was not noticed missing from any organized group and not carrying a dive flag or at least when he was found. He may have been solo diving without a flag or redundancy...

Seems odd to me - is a dive flag required in Washington?

Towing a dive flag is not practical here at many dive sites, due to depth, current, kelp, or any number of other reasons. Technically it's required ... but virtually nobody ever does it. The law is not enforced ... nor is the one requiring boaters to maintain a distance from a dive flag those few times when they are used. I've before told the tale of video'ing a 40-foot boat literally running over a dive flag in 20 feet of water, while an OW class was being conducted directly underneath it. When I offered the video to the Harbor Patrol, the officer told me that unless someone was injured, there's nothing they could do about it. If they offer no benefit, why use one?

It is quite likely this diver was solo diving ... that's pretty common around here. Nobody said anything about whether or not he had redundancy ... maybe he did, maybe not. Seems rather irrelevant ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've before told the tale of video'ing a 40-foot boat literally running over a dive flag in 20 feet of water, while an OW class was being conducted directly underneath it. When I offered the video to the Harbor Patrol, the officer told me that unless someone was injured, there's nothing they could do about it.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow. That makes no sense to me - like shooting a gun in public and saying - unless someone was injured - there is nothing we can do about it?

The redundancy was me just thinking out loud - I have no reason to believe he was or was not using redundancy but thought - if he was cheating on the flag... But based on your description I understand now and am sympathetic to that issue...

No. No details.

Call all out NW buddies and see if anyone is missing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

---------- Post added June 14th, 2015 at 04:38 PM ----------

Found in elger bay, about 6pm saturday. Diver apparently had not been in the water long. No reports of missing divers.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

There seems to be an ebb and flow (pun intended) to these things. I hadn't heard of many local diving deaths for a while until recently. In years past there were certainly a lot of them.

It's the same in rock climbing. Last year there were 3 unrelated deaths in one weekend but before that it had been a long while (since I had heard of any locally).

Maybe I'm just unaware sometimes however.

Are there any meaningful details? I can't read the link as I've exceeded my "free trial".

Here's a trick to get to read the article:
You can use another browser or you can delete all your cookies in your current browser to get to read the article.

Back
Top Bottom