Pulau Weh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Next month my girlfriend and I were planning on going diving on Pulau Weh (West Indonesia). We've heard that there has been quite some coral bleaching the last few months and that it's not really worth it anymore. Has anyone been there the last few months who can provide some insight?

What would be a good alternative? Since we just bought an appartment last year, our budget is a bit limited, so Raja Ampat is not possible for us. So we're looking at some cheap accomodation possibilities as well as some place the diving is not too expensive.

Thanks.

Hey Naick..you might want to check out another Pulau Weh thread that just recently died out, and you'll probably get most of the same people weighing in pro and con once they see this one. For me, I enjoyed PW when I was there just over a month ago, and wouldn't say the coral is in bad shape...and definitely in far better condition that the not so far off Andaman Coast of Thailand. The soft coral and gorgonians are as nice as you'll see almost anywhere (including Raja Ampat which you mention), and the Christmas Tree-type hard coral which is very abundant here is in fantastic shape. I stayed and dove with Lumba Lumba where you can arguably get in three dives, accommodation and meals (nearby) for @$80/day...so incredibly affordable.

I think you'll like Pulau Weh, but I'd say a better option for a first trip into Indonesia would be the Bunaken/Lembeh/Bangka area in northern Sulawesi where you can dive incredibly diverse sites within short distances of each other. Won't be quite as cheap as Lumba Lumba, but still very reasonable. A good inexpensive option is Two Fish, who has locations in both Bunaken and Lembeh. If you're entering Indonesia through Bali, make sure you give yourself some additional time to dive there as well to check out Nusa Penida/Lembongan (especially if July-October for mola mola season) and Tulamben. Two Fish actually has a third location now on NL.

Completey agree with what Oc said above.
I've been to P Weh twice but the last time was two years ago (I have a youtube vid, just be aware that Casa Nemo no longer offers diving and has had a change of management so not what it was like). And although its a cool place to go I really dont think I would ever go again. The one main issue is the hassle of getting there. Its two flights and a ferry ride away, plus last time we were there the flight times did not match up with the ferry times so we were forced to stay a night in Banda Aceh (not the most amazing place in the world to stay a night). If you have done all the "usual" places in Indo then by all means go explore P Weh but if not check Bali/ NL/ Komodo/ Lembeh/ Ambon etc etc out first.

I will echo Oc and say go check out the Bangka/ Lembeh area. It's great and its a place I will go back dozens of times. In fact I'm going back to the area for my fourth visit in July and can not wait.

Aside from the diving, Ramadan starts around the 8th July this year and Bandar Aceh is probably the most religious part of Indonesia. There are "religious police" in that region that can make life uncomfortable so moderate dress is required and forget about even holding hands with your girlfriend, you might be inviting a "legal" whack from a stick by one of these upholders of religious law.

Personally I would look at Sulawesi as already suggested above.

"Its two flights and a ferry ride away, plus last time we were there the flight times did not match up with the ferry times so we were forced to stay a night in Banda Aceh (not the most amazing place in the world to stay a night)."

Just an fyi for any future reader of the thread, an overnight in Banda Aceh is no longer required as flight times with Air Asia now align perfectly with the ferry...so you take the short flight to/from KL and get there more easily

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom