Pull Dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoiclown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking at Purchasing a New Wing, with Pull dump in the Top Center. I was just curious if anyone has had experience with this type of setup. It seems like a good idea, but it might interfere with hose roughting, or clearance issues?

I believe pull-dumps are a no-no. Not sure if that is a DIR thing, or a general hogarthian thing. I would imagine they are frowned upon by DIR because of them being a failure point.

I have diverite wings and they have pull-dumps. Not sure whether I am keeping them or not. You generally only use it on your beginning decent. After that, the dump valve on the rear is probably the best method... althoug I have used the pull-dump.

Sorry to be so little help, but...

stoiclown:
I am looking at Purchasing a New Wing, with Pull dump in the Top Center. I was just curious if anyone has had experience with this type of setup. It seems like a good idea, but it might interfere with hose roughting, or clearance issues?

Hose routing and clearance are not a problem. In terms of Hogarthian diving, however, a pull dump is "not needed" and therefore it should not be there.

R..

pull dumps are failure points and they can be pulled if the diver goes through a restriction. On top of that I was taught that a paniced diver reaching for you can pull it and that's not a good thing . Much better to have a 90degree elbow

How is the pulldump a failure point. I disassemble mine after every dive to clean it, and it look like a pretty fail safe design to me. The pulldumb on my DR wing sucks though, since it lets the air out soooo slowly. On my old Black Diamond, it was great, pull that thing and you sink like a rock.

You don't really need a pull dump, if you''re always diving horizontal trim.........have fun.

My Dive Rite Classic wing came with a pulldump - I never even noticed it for a year. All this "failure point" stuff just cracks me up. The gear is pretty bulletproof - the biggest source of "failure points" are divers themselves doing something stupid or being in lousy shape to begin with. I'm always amazed seeing divers with their "bulletproof" DIR rigs and an extra 30 pounds of gut hanging off their bellies.
Probably more dives will be blown by nimrods changing out pulldumps for a 90° elbow and not securing it very well than by any pulldump failures.
If you have a pulldump, it's fine. Just clean it like ShakaZ does to keep any sand or glunk out of it.

Tom Winters:
All this "failure point" stuff just cracks me up. The gear is pretty bulletproof - the biggest source of "failure points" are divers themselves doing something stupid ...
Probably more dives will be blown by nimrods changing out pulldumps for a 90° elbow and not securing it very well than by any pulldump failures.

AMEN

Tom Winters:
My Dive Rite Classic wing came with a pulldump - I never even noticed it for a year. All this "failure point" stuff just cracks me up. The gear is pretty bulletproof - the biggest source of "failure points" are divers themselves doing something stupid or being in lousy shape to begin with. I'm always amazed seeing divers with their "bulletproof" DIR rigs and an extra 30 pounds of gut handing off their bellies.
If you have a pulldump, it's fine. Just clean it like ShakaZ does to keep any sand or glunk out of it.
ROTFLMAO

yeah, clean it real good, because one bit of crud and it will leak air and your buoancy screwed. Good luck with that

have a Dive Rite plate & Venture wing - How can I replace the pull dump - ?? Just buy a 90 ?

I want to get rid of it after reading this thread.... I never thought about someone pulling on it or it getting caught.......

Thanks

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom