Pull or anchor kayak??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtownmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey just curious if you guys pull or anchor your kayaks.... Im thinking about diving from my kayak up to 1.5 miles of beach and am trying to figure out the best setup. Also what kind of anchor?

Thanks

I tow mine. I like the added security of knowing that the boat is above me. We did have a yak diver here in Venice who anchored his. Water got bumby & the boat pulled free. Luckily Capt. Jaime from the Aristakat saw what happened & came to his rescue. Sometimes, on bumpy days, it can be a pain towing it but, I always know where my boat is & don't have to worry about someone coming along & thinking they've found an abandoned yak & start towing it in.

yea i saw the pics of the kid they helped out! yea i think pulling it would be the best way... I was talking to a guy and he was using a bungee cord attached to the kayak then a rope tied to it for a shock cord which seemed like a good idea.

Yea, that would be diversolo. I'm too chicken to do that though. I figure that's just 2 more knots that could come loose.

BOTH!! Kinda like choosing the hot brunette latin girl or the fiery redhead!

I use a 3# anchor and set it. Then I don all my gear and descend down the line. I pick up the anchor and tow it. IF I run into something I want to look at (lobster) I set the anchor upcurrent from me. The idea is if it works loose it will bounce by me and I will see it.

The anchor kits for kayaks sell a lighter anchor and the 3# is the minimum I'd go with and it holds in the sand.

Ditto to what Dkramer said. I use one of the 3# folding anchors. It really is no trouble towing my yak behind me and, like Eric does, if I see a bug den or something else of interest, I anchor it close by.

I especially like having the yak overhead because if I find a really sweet spot, I just ascend and hit the "mark" button on my handheld GPS. :D

I took it out today for my first kayak dive to 25ft and anchored it with 7.5lb and all went smooth... Found a few nice teeth as well!

I took it out today for my first kayak dive to 25ft and anchored it with 7.5lb and all went smooth... Found a few nice teeth as well!

Congrats!! Ye be an official Venice Yak Diver!!:D

Awesome!! I find my 3# helps me stay down in the shallow depths anyway.

I have clip on the end of my anchor rope and on my anchor, whan I dive I clip the anchor to my BC for extra weight and clip the line to the BC also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom