Pulmonary Barotrauma with Short Interval Shallow Freedives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So lung squeeze (PBT) is not an uncommon event with deep freedives. However I personally didn't realize that it could occur with shallow dives. So in my case while making laps around a cold swimming pool (59F) and diving to 12ft./4meters with each lap I experienced it.

After about 1/3 kilometer I was getting a raspy sound on exhalation with shortness of breath (more than I would expect normally). Exiting the pool area I was coughing up copious amount of thick clear liquid. Making it to the bathroom the liquid had a yellow color and after more coughing it was pink froth. There was a burning feeling in my chest.

2 hours post and there really isn't that much there now. When I saw the pink froth it prompted me to research the phenomenon online. Now I know it can be extremely serious leading to death, but usually resolves. So I am a bit more at ease.

I took a very warm shower afterwards and the warmth running down my back produced some relief. I will be seeing my primary care physician in a couple of days who is not a dive medicine professional.

Immersion pulmonary edema could be another consideration.

So I researched Immersion Pulmonary Edema (IPE) on the DAN website. While symptoms appear similar, IPE generally does not produce chest pain. I was surprised to read that. It may help to narrow down the injury to PBT.

That said I feel absolutely fine many hours later. No sign of the illness in my chest. My breathing is quiet and my strength and stamina have markedly improved. It's odd that a malady that could certainly kill you disappears so quickly.

I'm not going to be diving for awhile. I may see how I feel after swimming in a few days. Nothing with too much exertion. Try to ease back into it. That is based on case reports of other divers.

Immersion pulmonary edema could be another consideration.

Absolutely right. I have an appointment scheduled already. But as I mentioned I really don't have any symptoms of significance. PBT is a real mystery to me and apparently many medical professionals have not studied its effects.

So I think you should probably see a doctor...?

I wonder if the temperature of the pool may have contributed. I would think there must be at least some reduction of blood flow to the extremities no matter how acclimated some one is to that temp.

Yes in the cooler water the body concentrates blood volume in the core/chest cavity. It is thought to be a contributing factor. It's interesting that PBT is almost exclusively associated with freediving/apnea and not scuba.

I wonder if the temperature of the pool may have contributed. I would think there must be at least some reduction of blood flow to the extremities no matter how acclimated some one is to that temp.

A call to DAN perhaps, at least to provide some pertinent questions or ideas to bring up to your physician?

Get well!

So I researched Immersion Pulmonary Edema (IPE) on the DAN website. While symptoms appear similar, IPE generally does not produce chest pain.

Try SIPE in triathletes, apparently 10% report "chest tightness". They're iron men, perhaps their "tightness" is what we call "pain".

Back
Top Bottom