Purchasing air tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a big guy and I found that I like going with the HP steels for 2 main reasons:
1 - I get more air and can stay down longer
2 - I like the added weight from the tank so I can carry less on my weight belt and integrated pouches

I bought my faber lp95's in 2003 and have never regreted it. On a recent trip i lost one off the boat (later retrieved) and, until recovered, used an al100 for the remaining dive. I did not notice any diffference in weighting in the gulf of mex. Hopefully someone can correct me in this. The faber has a coating inside to resist corrosion and that i think the uncoated versions are sold under a different name. I hve since added 2 lp85's and a lp 120 to the collection.

If dimension wise the steel 100 tanks are about the same size as the 119 tanks, why don't people choose the 119's when they dive?

If dimension wise the steel 100 tanks are about the same size as the 119 tanks, why don't people choose the 119's when they dive?
Often times since they are short and heavy the HP119's will cause people to go head down. Taller people tend to like the HP120's which are longer and 7.5" diameter. Some people do not like the 119's diameter of 8" either. I dive HP130's for singles so I can't say much else. They trim out nicely for me.

the 100s and 119s are the same height but the 119s are larger diameter. I own, dive, and very much like the 119s. But as mentioned before, some people don't like the fatter tank. Oh they are somewhta heavy for some people to move around. In the water, they trim out very well.

IIRC the LP95 is about the same dimensions as a HP119

~Chris

Often times since they are short and heavy the HP119's will cause people to go head down. Taller people tend to like the HP120's which are longer and 7.5" diameter. Some people do not like the 119's diameter of 8" either. I dive HP130's for singles so I can't say much else. They trim out nicely for me.

You trim AL80s, HP130s thim you :wink:

You trim AL80s, HP130s trim you :wink:
Oddly enough, I find it the opposite. Those dang AL80 get floaty and screw me all up. Then again I rarely dive warm water.

Back to the HP119's, the fins you use can make a big difference in trim too. Using a heavy paddle fin like a Jet fin will help offset the tank. Plus using a weight belt, and not putting any weight high up, nor in any trim pockets on the BC if the BC has them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom