Purchasing New BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Donnah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My old faithful ScubaPro BC finally died. I'm looking at a new BC, and would welcome input. I don't want a BP/W. I am 73, female, AOW (lots of specialties), over 1,000 dives (stopped counting). I don't do deep, dark, and cold anymore. Strictly warm water. Take pictures of pretty fish. 2-3 dives a day. Now, we usually go on two long dive trips/year.

My current choice is a ScubaPro Glide X. It's got the D rings and pockets I want. I'm not too sure about the weight integrated, but the weight pockets seems straightforward, unlike some of the ones I have seen. The travel BCs are a bit spare for me.

Any other BCs you have tried that might suit me?

I was just at the dive shop yesterday. I'm headed to Honduras and struggling with luggage weight limits. IF I was in the market, I'd consider the Aqua Lung Outlaw, just because of the weight/size.

My old faithful ScubaPro BC finally died. I'm looking at a new BC, and would welcome input. I don't want a BP/W. I am 73, female, AOW (lots of specialties), over 1,000 dives (stopped counting). I don't do deep, dark, and cold anymore. Strictly warm water. Take pictures of pretty fish. 2-3 dives a day. Now, we usually go on two long dive trips/year.

My current choice is a ScubaPro Glide X. It's got the D rings and pockets I want. I'm not too sure about the weight integrated, but the weight pockets seems straightforward, unlike some of the ones I have seen. The travel BCs are a bit spare for me.

Any other BCs you have tried that might suit me?

The Glide X is excellent. You may also consider the new version of the Glide X or the Hydros Pro. The Glide X is still great with all you want but the newer version the straps may seem to fit better (I haven't seen the new version in person). You are right that it has everything you need from it including the integrated weight pockets. They work great too. If you are able to see the newer version in person, let me know what you think of it please. Good luck!!

I was just at the dive shop yesterday. I'm headed to Honduras and struggling with luggage weight limits. IF I was in the market, I'd consider the Aqua Lung Outlaw, just because of the weight/size.
The Outlaw has no pockets, alternative attachment points and unusual integrated weights. The Rogue is a little more mainstream. Sounds like the Glide X may be right for you.

My "travel" BC is a ScubaPro Go. It is super lightweight and very comfortable to dive with. If weight to travel with is any issue at all I think you would be very happy with a Go vest.

The Glide X arrived two days ago. It definitely has all the features I wanted, but it is heavy! Not back at square 1, but almost there. Also looking at the Equalizer, which weighs less. Thanks for the suggestion about the Go.

+2 on the ScubaPro Go. My wife loves her SP Go, and it has what you are looking for in lightweight, pockets, etc.

I have a Glide x and love it...but it is big and heavy. For that reason I moved to either a BPW or a Tranpac and wing, both of which I like better. My wife prefers a jacket style and we have an Aqualung Luna for her. It's cut for a woman, shorter and no chest strap. It is lighter and less bulky as well, but well made nevertheless. Big pockets, weight integrated, simple releases, and gives the "hug" that a jacket style offers. You might look at one.

Good luck, safe travels,

Jay

I will add one more thing about the Go...FWIW, it has a pad that sits right in the middle of my back. This is kinda dumb, but it seems to keep my spine {the part that is within the bcd} nice and warm when the water gets a little chilly. It also helps with "zipper shock" when I first get in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom