Pure O2 @ Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rzep

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
question for frequent Cozumelians: which dive operations can provide pure O2 (96% or better)?
thx
Tomek

Hi,
question for frequent Cozumelians: which dive operations can provide pure O2 (96% or better)?
thx
Tomek

Coz Dive shops don't fill their own tanks. We have a central fill station. Are you looking for a tech dive operator?

. Are you looking for a tech dive operator?
Hi,
Not exactly.I am taking my Meg CCR over there, ergo I need pure O2. Also I am taking my son with me. He has only about 60 dives under his belt, so we gonna do rather recreational diving.
'Central filling' by this you meant almost any operator can get me pure Oxygen?
thx
Tomek

Hi,
Not exactly.I am taking my Meg CCR over there, ergo I need pure O2. Also I am taking my son with me. He has only about 60 dives under his belt, so we gonna do rather recreational diving.
'Central filling' by this you meant almost any operator can get me pure Oxygen?
thx
Tomek

Central fill station meaning that there is one (actually two) who fill the tanks for 99% of the operations. The only ops that fill their own are the very large resort operations...who must have compressors on site due to their distance from town. Only one of these fill stations provides technical mixes.

Have you discussed diving your rebreather with your dive shop? Not all permit it due to liability, "hassle" of getting the right fills, and simple lack of knowledge regarding rebreathers.

I should add that if you're able to arrange to get our O2 filled daily, it will be expensive.

I would start with contacting one or both of the following, who are actually technical diving facilities and are knowledgable on rebreathers:

Hernan Yanez - Yucatech Yucatech Expeditions. Cenote, Cave, Cavern and Technical Dive Courses and Tours.

Dive Cozumel - (not sure if they are still in business though) Dive Cozumel - The Premiere Scuba Dive Shop in Cozumel

Hope that helps!

Didn't someone else do this a year or so ago and post here? Seems like I remember them getting a CCR O2 bottle filled at the hospital there on Cozumel. Or maybe it was Cancun?

I can't remember. I do remember that it took him something like two days to finally find someone and get it filled. No way am I burning two days of diving just to use a rebreather.

-Charles

Have you discussed diving your rebreather with your dive shop?
I am in process of shopping for one. Pro Dive already send me a quotation.
I have contact Matt at Protech ( I know the teaching CCR diving) but didn't get any response yet.
I should add that if you're able to arrange to get our O2 filled daily, it will be expensive.
I was told around 20$, depends on the size of the tank - I am using 19 cuft.

Hernan Yanez - Yucatech
Dive Cozumel -
I will send them an email.

Hope that helps!
A lot! Thx very much.
Tomek

Yes, my dive op-Aldora Divers said no problem on 100% O2 fills, apparently the main fill station for the island has it (they use it to make nitrox). I'm going to have one or two 80's filled and transfill from them. Pro tek cozumel also said they had 02 at 20 or $25 per RB size bottle.

I am in process of shopping for one. Pro Dive already send me a quotation.
I have contact Matt at Protech ( I know the teaching CCR diving) but didn't get any response yet.

I was told around 20$, depends on the size of the tank - I am using 19 cuft.

I will send them an email.

A lot! Thx very much.
Tomek

FYI...ProTech and Pro Dive are both on the mainland....so you're going to run into logistical problems if you're diving and staying in Cozumel.

116fire:
I'm going to have one or two 80's filled and transfill from them.
That's a really good idea. It may work, specially considering morning preflight procedure on CCR.

charlesml3:
No way am I burning two days of diving just to use a rebreather.
I don't plan on doing that either.

Christi:
FYI...ProTech and Pro Dive are both on the mainland....so you're going to run into logistical problems if you're diving and staying in Cozumel.
Are you sure? According to my travel agent, as well as people at Pro Dive Mexico they operating out of base at Playa Azul (5 min drive from Downtown) and Protech have their operation at mainland, as well as at Coz.
Thx everyone
t

Are you sure? According to my travel agent, as well as people at Pro Dive Mexico they operating out of base at Playa Azul (5 min drive from Downtown) and Protech have their operation at mainland, as well as at Coz.
Thx everyone
t

Yes, I am sure.

Although Pro Dive does have a satellite operation out of Playa Azul, they cater to Discover Scuba and resort divers and are a very new (and not established) operation over here. I am not even sure that they have a full shop at Playa Azul, I believe it's just a sales/registration desk...unless something has changed recently.

ProTech may run trips over to Cozumel, but they do not have a base of operation here.

Back
Top Bottom