Purge vs. No Purge Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also never understood why people make a big deal about that being a failure point. They seem to ignore the fact that every regulator out there has the same purge mechanism that lets one exhale through the regulator

The one on your reg isn't optional

See the size of this purge, that will work well and not jam on a piece of sand:

41t8oAdPNuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hi Thal. yeah..better. But, I'll still recommend a low profile, low volume mask. Your friend, Timmy Lynch. :D ( I'm your biggest fan)

Whatever works for you. Purge is another failure point and most use non-purge but you should choose whatever works best for you.

Which type of mask is better, a purge valve mask or a non-purge valve mask? Is it a matter of personal preference? What are the pros and cons of each type?

The best mask is the one that fits you the best, leaks the least and gives you a good field of view. Nearly everybody in this thread has an opinion, and if they say "Don't get X" or "You have to get Y", they're completely irrelevant.

If you get a mask with a purge, you can clear it by blowing air into it. If you get one without a purge, you can clear it by blowing air into it. The only real difference is that the non-purge mask requires that you tilt your head back a little.

If you get a high volume mask, you can clear it by blowing air into it. If you get a Low Volume mask you can clear it by blowing air into it. The highest volume mask I've ever seem could still be easily cleared on much less than one breath. Low volume masks have a little better field of view out the front. High volume masks have side windows for a good clue as to where your buddy is.

The purge valve as "an additional failure point" is a completely bogus argument. They rarely fail and when they do, it just means that your mask now has some water in it. You don't need a mask to breathe. A missing purge valve is an annoyance not a danger.

Buy one that's comfortable, made from tempered glass (side windows, if any, too), has a field of view that you like and leaks the least. If it has a purge, that's fine. If it doesn't that's fine too. Either one will require practice.

You can only find the right one by trying them on personally, preferably in a pool.

Good luck, and don't be discouraged. There are a ton of different mask styles. You might try 20 of them and only find one that you really like. Don't get hung up on what's essentially fake differentiation done exclusively for marketing purposes.

flots.

I have both (SeaVision mask). Purely personal preference IMO. Dove the purge for years, have had it deep... never had an issue.
That being said, I usually dive the non-purge (simply because that's the mask with the gauge readers). I do prefer the purge when I'm taking still pics...

I dove (and still prefer when I can get one) a SwimMaster WideView. It has a huge purge valve, rather small volume and as it is made of neoprene is warm to boot. Never had a problem iin thousands of dives.

I bought an aqualung mask with a purge valve, but did not use it much. I love having some water in my mask, and the mask kept magically clearing it, which I found irritating.

Pros - useful when both your hands are full (such as shooting a large video camera rig). It is easy to clear the mas this way. Pinching is not an issue when you use other ear equalization techniques (also does not require hands)

Cons - pretty much covered here already

I purchased my first mask in 2005, a Tusa mask with a purge valve. Still using it to this day. Done over 200+ dives with that mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom