Purpose and Use of Multiprong Spear Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for more interesting history on the development of spearfishing gear Sam.

As you mentioned, the 3-Prong tip is very often referred to as a paralyzer tip. My understanding is that as the tip penetrates the fish (hopefully the head) The prongs are spread apart progressively. When the forward motion of the tip is stopped, the 3 prongs are stretched out away from each other (to some extent) and this does apply a squeezing pressure which help to hold it in place and often immobilizes a fish - to some extent.

The video shows the use of a paralyzer tip on large fish when propelled with a Carbon Fiber pole spear. If fish that size are going to be specifically targeted, most people would select a slip tip over a 3-prong paralyzer tip.

@CuzzA he is one of yours.....

Dumpster Diver
IS a disgrace to spear fishing and all that it represents. You live in Florida why don't you tell him ?

FYI

Over 25 years ago there was a board titled "Free dive list." Seventeen years ago in 2000 they organized and sponsored the huge 2000 Free dive Party which was the last gathering of the worlds "Fathers of Free diving and Spear fishing." It was a very monumental event in the history of spear fishing. The 50 or so fathers came from all points of the globe for this last hurrah; Central and South America, Europe, Australia, the Pacific Islands and North America -three were honored from Orange County California the late Ron Merker, Allan (Omar) Wood and my self

In honor of the event and the Fathers posted the following on the Free Dive List:

"We Fathers of Free Diving and Spearfishing have been honored as pioneer participants in a noble sport where one matches their skill in a very hostile enviroment with that of his finney adversary in an activity that has become internationally known as "Spearfishing."

Spearfish with great dignity and pride in this the noblest of all man's activities,but with restraint and selecive spearfishing rather than wholesale slaughter, for with every activity there is a Beginning; a Middle; and an End............"

We the "Fathers" of this great activity were honored to have been a participant in the Beginning, we are some where in the Middle and if precautions aren't established and if restraints aren't practiced the End of spearfishing can be in the immediate future"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Always remember this:

"if precautions aren't established and restraints aren't practiced the End of spearfishing can be in the immediate future"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
Only a hand full of the Fathers have survived the passage of the last seventeen years ~~ One by one they have passed on and are now diving on that big reef in the sky.

( I have been fortunate to have been graced with an alert mind ,good health and a very long life, Hopefully I can pass just a little of my experiences on to this and future generations before my DOC (day of croaking)

Last edited:
This is the type of "multiprong" speargun tip I am talking about, not the trident or the paralyzer tip if it makes any difference:

MRSIMP_2.jpg.png

Here's the story I heard in the 1960s when they were very common in Northern California: The Trident (as-in Neptune's spear not the equipment distributor) 3-point spear was for spearing critters like ells and (smaller) octopi that can shinny up the spear staff and fight back. Obviously it goes back long before the time of Christ.

upload_2017-10-8_7-32-59.png

My "guess" is the version with more prongs might be good for certain smaller species of flat-fish that are thin and "tear out" unless you hit them just right.

I am thinking now after analyzing few dives with the multiprong tip and the pointy type with floppers, it appears that the "In-line Pronged type tip" is more appropriate for the flat or bottom swimming wide fish. Using the single tip with floppers on flat fish swimming at the bottom of the sea will actually make the tip penetrate not only the fish but will also make the tip and the entire spear go down into the sandy bottom. It happened to me a couple of days ago when I used it in an area with deep sandy/muddy bottom. The tip and almost the entire spear disappeared in the sand/mud under the fish. It was most difficult to get it out. I spent almost the entire dive wiggling it gently to pull it out of the sand. I imagine this won't happen if I used the "In-line Pronged type tip" instead. The "In-line Pronged type tip" wouldn't have split the fish since the flat fish's body is much wider than the tip in contrast to the long body "regular" shaped body type of fish that are narrow enough for the "In-line Pronged type tip" to "slice" through their them and split them into two pieces.

The above is just my observation and analysis for what I saw during the last few spearfishing dives. Any thoughts?

Since you are a nomad a response is difficult with out knowing where you are diving

California divers began using a small home constructed T bar attached to a point to impale fish... in appearance it appeared to be a Hammer there fore it was called a "Halibut hammer."

Divers used a variety of points I preferred the Samson point with its three barbs attached to a pull out point

What is pictured is a commercial version of the Halibut Hammer

SAM

it appears that the "In-line Pronged type tip" is more appropriate for the flat or bottom swimming wide fish.

I hope nobody takes my WAG (Wild Aa$$ Guess) as actual fact! Why not E-mail Omer and ask them what they recommend them for?

My "guess" is the version with more prongs might be good for certain smaller species of flat-fish that are thin and "tear out" unless you hit them just right.

Please let us know if you find out what it is good for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom